1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone have the ESP LTD Vintage-204?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Benberg, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Benberg

Benberg Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2011
    I was looking into maybe purchasing one of these, was wondering if anyone had one of these with some videos or sound clips? or how they like theirs

2. TheAnalogKid

TheAnalogKid Yer Doin' GREAT!!!!

Dec 7, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    I hesitate to respond to this, being that I don't actually own one, but I have checked them out recently. I damn near pulled the trigger on the black/maple Vintage-204, however. It lost by a narrow margin to my Squier CV. Though street price is about 350, I have seen these on sale for < 300.

I suggest checking one out, if possible. The strange thing about the "stressed" finish is on the back: part of the wear pattern resembles a horse's head, no kidding! I reckon you could snag one, mod the pups and tuners, and still be several hundred bucks ahead of what the ESP-Japan models cost (I love the Vintage white, though). Gratuitous video link, which may be of help, not mine:

3. Benberg

Benberg Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2011
    Alright, thanks for the info, BTW just got back form the maiden concert in Seattle Wa like 10 mins ago. \m/

4. To be honest, if you can afford the extra dosh for the MIJ PJ or Amaze basses that those guys do, it'd definitely be worth it. The Amaze is a Jazz copy that sounds a lot like a Jazz but with more tonal flexibility and POWER. I've seen the MIJ PJ's used live and they sound great, but TBH for the money you might as well just get a Fender. Don't worry about upgrading the pickups on the LTD series by the way, they're some of the best non-big-name-brand pickups I've ever heard, more than adequate for the price range.

5. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    What are the necks like on the vintage 204? I noticed it says slim U profile in the description with a 42 mm nut. I prefer jazz necks which have 38mm nut width. I'm currently looking to possibly buy me but I won't be able to play it so I need to know what the neck is like. I'm looking for a fast action comfortable neck. Like I said I prefer jazz bass profile necks. Is this a comfortable neck ? Is it more of a jazz or precision neck?

6. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    I had the fretless version. The neck was closer to a modern P if I remember right. Very comfortable but not giant or tiny. Was really a great neck. Don't remember it being too much of anything. Overall a very nice bass regardless of the price.

7. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    I have an opportunity to buy the roadwork sunburst fretted version for $250.00. I really love p basses and want a pj setup, but fender is to much $$ for my budget right now and from what I've read about these ESP's this would be a good option. The only thing holding me back is that I want a neck on a bass that I buy to be super comfortable and fast. I playe only 1 of these esp basses and I remember the neck being the way you described it when I played it. I just can't remember if I liked it or how fast and comfortable it was.

8. Flippy

Flippy

Jun 9, 2017
    Europe
    I have a 204. Can't comment on the tone because I swapped the pups long time ago. The neck took a while to get used to (I was accustomed to Ibanez/jazz profiles) but in the end I learned to like it. I think the neck could be a little stiffer, though I don't have another bass to compare it with

9. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    I put jazz necks on all my p basses. I prefer jazz/smaller profiles. As of late I'm finding that I want even faster and smaller then a jazz profile which has me also looking at an Ibanez as well. With that said should I stay away from this esp? Considering what I want out of a neck?whats your opinion

10. Flippy

Flippy

Jun 9, 2017
    Europe
    Sometimes getting out of your comfort zone may be beneficial. What are you looking for? Are you upgrading your bass? Trying something new? Backup bass? Try picking a P bass in the store and see if you can stand the neck.

11. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    Not updating or backup bass either. Something new would be best but not totally that. To be brief, I was always a finger player up until about 2 years ago when I switched to pick and been primarily playing with a pick since. As of late I been playing a totally different style consisting of a lot of movement on the neck and finger style. Even though I'm playing accurate, I feel like it's somewhat of a chore and I feel I can be more comfortable and precise with a different neck. I'm using standardnjazz necks right now but I went to GC and played some skinny necked Ibanezs and it just felt right. My attraction to a p bass is playing a factor though.

12. aproud1

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    If you are dead set on tiny necks Ibanez SR basses are the way to go. You can get a really great older ibanez SR800 (MIJ) for around $300 If you look. And most are a P/J configuration.

The ESP necks aren't giant but sound bigger than you're looking for.

13. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    Very true. I am familiar with the SR necks and like them a lot. However I am gunna go with the Ergodyne edb 600 bass if I decide on the Ibanez. I've owned a couple and they're just AWESOME basses . I still am having a conflict on my decision. Might come down to a coin flip!

14. aproud1

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Consider an EDB550 if you like that shape. Ash body, bubinga Wenge neck. Really the sleeper in the Ergodyne series IMO. Also the SRT series have EMGs and a classic 60s jazz beck profile.

15. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    You make a solid point when u say it could be beneficial. I went to GC and played a standard precision. It was different, I haven't played one in a while. I like some things about it. Had it's pros and cons which I am weighing out. I also played and Ibanez sr1500 which I thought the neck was to small so I went to an sr250 and was real comfortable on that. Question is, the standard p neck is a modern c, and the esp vintage 204 is a slim u. Is the slim u theoretically a more comfortable neck?