Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone Have This Case?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Ike Harris, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Ike Harris

Ike Harris

May 16, 2001
    Nashville TN
    I was perusing through the rockabillybass site and saw this case by the King Doublebass co. I wonder if anyone had one of these, and how do you like it? How much weight does it add, and how protective would it be under a bus? There are more pics on the site, but I don't remember any wheels. Seems like it would be a good cross between a gig bag and trunk, but maybe not very good as either.

Ike

Attached Files:

2. Yeah Ike i've seen a coupla these around....kinda fun to have around the house to display your bass in, but NO real protection. I think they're not much more than cardboard covered in naugahide...right? I wouldn't send a bass anywhere in one.
    After enlarging, it does seem to have more padding than the ones i've seen. But still, that material would bend and your neck could bend right off!
    It's kinda cool though. Is it cheap enough to buy just fer fun?

3. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    I own one like it. It's large.

If you plan on flying with your bass, it's not really the thing.

If you plan on falling with your bass, it's much better than a bag.

---

Seriously: It weighs about 30 pounds. There are wheels. I installed a better side-handle. The stitching on the cordura cover is "not of the highest quality."

They cost under $500 at Jim Laabs, for instance, but plan on some shipping.

It seems to me that it would be much better than a bag if you ship by truck or travel by bus. It's bulky if you're just off around the corner for a bar gig.

4. Ike Harris

Ike Harris

May 16, 2001
    Nashville TN
    Paul-

I think it ran about 700. Be just as well to get a used trunk for 1k or something. If I'm going to eat up more space in the house, I'd rather just get one piece than a selection of cases. Just have one gig bag for the moment.

5. I used one of those once; it's just enough to be a real pain, and not enough to make it worth the money or hassle. I say get a good bag for daily use and a real trunk if you have to fly or travel by bus.