1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone have this problem with a Hipshot Bass extender?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by String Monkey, Jun 23, 2018.

1. String Monkey

String Monkey

Jun 5, 2018
    Earth
    Recently bought a used Fender MIJ (Japan) Aerodyne and ordered a Hipshot drop tuner made for Fender Japan from Guitar Center to install during my setup. Holes matched up and it fit in great. Put some chromes on and when I was tuning up, I noticed the Hipshot started to feel unusually rough when the string had tension. Turned it over and saw metal shavings grinding away off the worm gear.

I’m going to contact Guitar Center and see about a replacement because this certainly won’t last long given the amount of metal coming off of it. I blew it out with compressed air and dabbed a bit of grease in the gears but it’s still shaving out.

I have a Hipshot on my American P Bass and it operates flawlessly, never had an issue with the company before with other products. Was wondering if anyone else had this happen with their bass extenders/drops?

3DA5DF8E-1EEC-4C89-9A5B-5233C064A777.jpeg D06CDA5B-AF41-4F57-B207-452092E85B4A.jpeg 0DF6E00E-6034-42D6-8FEB-455F727D03A9.jpeg

2. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    I haven’t used a D-Tuner in about 20 years, but I never had a problem with them when I did.

Looks like a situation where Hipshot’s manufacturing tolerances took a dive...

Probably just a bad batch, but I’d definitely look for an exchange.

3. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Looks like a quality control lapse at Hipshot.
    I'd contact them directly.
    Is there any chance you've installed it just a tiny bit off-true?

4. Goatrope

Goatrope Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    Three installs and using the extenders over the last couple decades and hadn’t seen that.

It looks like one of the mating parts missed a hardening operation. Or maybe just cut wrong.

I’d take it back.

gebass6 likes this.
  5. pineweasel

pineweasel

Nov 21, 2003
    Just come across this old thread. It looks to me as if the tuner gear wheel has been installed the wrong way up, so it doesn't mesh correctly with the thread on the shaft.

patrickj likes this.
  6. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I have several Hipshot Drop-D tuners. One is a wee bit "sticky" when I drop down to D, but it's merely a minor inconvenience. Otherwise, every other one I've ever owned has worked perfectly.

7. BobKos

BobKos

Apr 13, 2007
    I wonder if either the worm gear or the post gear is a mismatched part. If the tooth pitch is incorrect on one or the other, it will self destruct when loaded and operated. I have only owned a few D-Tuners and have never seen this. I have also owned a variety of Hipshot tuners and have not seen this issue with them either.

8. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Ellicott City, MD
    Endorsing: Spector Bass Guitars
    exactly! I’ve done 5 of these installs in about the last year, did this with one of them. The gear definitely has an up and down, reverse it from what it is set as now.

(I know this is an old thread, in case someone else runs into a similar problem)

Goatrope likes this.