Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone have thoughts on the Aguilar DB 359?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Flat Bass, Oct 6, 2003.

1. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    I would be using it for a Motown private party/wedding band. Among other things also. But it will be pushing one or two Aguilar GS 1-12 cabs with a Fender Jazz.

2. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    Also how would it compare to the MB 400+ or the regular 400? WOuld I be better off getting the Mesa?

3. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    I find it more punchy and brighter than the Mesas. Check out www.basstasters.com - there's sound clips of the 359.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    considering, you're using the amp for wedding/club dates, i doubt you'd need the sheer 400 watts, or want to deal with the weight.

but my DB359 is a killer all tube box. would sound great with a pair of GS112's.

5. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    If you're looking for a motown sound then you're right on with the 359. I run mine through a GS212 and couldn't be happier... I mean it:D If the weight doesn't bother you then go for it. However, as much as I love this amp, there's no way i'd pay $3000 for a new one. Look used, I found mine which was only a month old on www.bassgear.com for $1075 +shipping which came out to $1115. Now, at that price you can't go wrong. If 3 large doesn't hurt ya though, why not go for it. Let us know what you decide.
    If you don't mind me asking... it looks like you've got a pretty sweet rig already. What don't you like about it for the style you're playing? Just curious. Answer if you feel like it.

6. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    Actually I am really happy with my rig. More so than I have ever been. I just though it would be cool to have an all tube head especially a matching rig you know. My rig sounds freakin awesome right now though. Better than anybody rig in my town except for Otiel Burbridges.

7. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    I feel the same way. I have a Berg 322 and a pair of Aggie GS112's. I use a QSC PLX-1602 and a Demeter HBP-1 to power either cab set up.

I too am GAS'n for a DB 359. I would really like to have an all tube setup. I do not want to get rid of my pre-power rig. I would just like to have a nice tube amp for smaller gigs that I can play through. Versitilty is good. Not to mention that buying bass gear is an incurable contagious disease that tricks your brain into thinking that you really do need this. So go ahead and buy it.

8. AndyGL

AndyGL

Nov 20, 2000
    Wellsville, NY
    Flat,

I play my good o’l Jazz Bass through a 359 with an Eden 210 xlt bottom. There isn’t a gig I do that someone doesn’t comment on the warm and round yet crisp tone I get from this rig. In my opinion you just can’t go wrong with the 359 for most gigs.

9. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The DB359 is a fantastic sounding amplifier. I used to have one, but I always had volume issues with it. I play in a Blues/R&B band, and it can get loud, but it runs out of headroom really fast. I now use an iAMP350.

The sound of the Aguilar can be described as crystal clear, but with a really warm tone. Fat lows. It is a very musical sounding amp.

10. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    If a person did want to get loud with a 359, what cabs would you recommend?

[I see from your profile, you have a cxl-112 and s15-d. These are pretty efficient cabs.]

11. Look for the most efficient cabs that you can find.
    I run a Doctor bass 2x12,,,,,8 ohm.
    Get 8 ohm cabs 'cause then you can use 2 sometimes !

JJ

12. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I just finished a gig tonight using my 359 with 2GS112s and my fender jazz. This is bass heaven. Love the sound. It's loud enough for most things and just has awesome tone. Used with a jazz bass you have enough growl and it sounds awesome playing old R&B. I run my '78 Jazz bass completely passive with original pickups and nothing else

If you want to get louder, I would recommend a GS410 or eden 410xlt. I have a berg 310 but this combination is OK but I think you can get a better sound with the eden.

No real drawbacks with the amp until it gets really loud and 200 watts are not enough. When that happens I bring by 728/680 combo.

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    awesome picke,

making me more impatient for monday to roll around when i can finally go and get my 359 from a friend's studio. :cool:

14. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I bet the 359 would sound good with tombowlus' combination of the Epifani T112 & T110UL or a T112 w/ a Berg HT112.

15. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I'm sure it would! The more I play through it, the more I am impressed with the HT112/T-112 combo. Man, these cabs sound great together!!!