Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone have/tried a bass flanger?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Dec 21, 2002.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Has anyoen tried, have or own a DOD or Boss bass flanger. How do they compare to their guitar cousins? Are they better suited for bass? WHixh one is better the Boss or DOD?

Thanks.

2. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    OREGON
    I like the DOD much better. Some disagree. I've tried the BOSS. I found it noisey and less useable. The DOD FX72 is way better. PM me and I'll send you an MP3 sample of the DOD if you like.

3. Namaah

Namaah

Dec 21, 2002
    Bronx, NYC
    i dont have either the Boss or the DOD, but i do have the Digitech Turbo Flange and its pretty good for a digital. It has alot of voices so u can find the perfect one to suit your needs. The only drawback i found is it will eat a battery, like a cop at a doughnut shop.

4. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    I used a Boss BF-2 for a short period. Not a bad effect, but I wasn't crazy about it. I ended up giving it to my guitar playing brother.

Personally, I prefer phase of flange.

5. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I use a Boss effects case BCB-6G, it has a LS-6, MT-2 Distortion, old CE-2 chorus, BF-2 Flanger, AW-3 auto-wah, and PH-3 Phaser. The case also holds a TU-12 tuner, and everything is powered from 1 AC adapter. It's very portable and very easy tear down & pack up. . The BF-2 if a good flanger. It really comes alive with a little boost from the MT-2. I have not tried any of the others, but I would like to try the new Boss BF-3, but the old BF-2 has been a good effect for me, I use it on songs like Heart's Barracuda without any help from the MT-2, and it sounds great!

:bassist:

6. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    i got a DOD fx-72 bass flanger. frankly to me it kicks the **** out of any flanger ive played. trust me ive played a lot of them. the pedal is just un real.

7. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I like my FX-72 too. Stereo!!!

8. What about the DOD FX75?

9. Jim, why'd you bump this thread?

10. I bumped it because I thought it was more efficient than starting a new thread. If I started a new flanger thread then someone might say, "do a search, we've covered that before".

I have a Fulltone Choralflange. However, I might consider getting a separate chorus and flange so that I have each effect available at my feet. You can't go chorus <-> flange on the Fulltone without stooping over to change a few switches and knobs.

11. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I've tried just about every analog flanger pedal on the market, and wasn't entirely satisfied with any of them, sold them all.

The one thing I am happy with and use live, oddly enough, is a flange patch on my Korg Bass Pandora version 3. Since its not designed for use on a pedalboard, I run it through a true-bypass loop switch so I can kick it on and off at will. I've yet to hear anything that could even approach the quality of the flange I get from that thing.

12. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    OREGON
    I hate to keep going back to DOD (OK, no I don't:D ) but, have you tried the DOD FX747 SuperSonic Stereo Flange? It's actually a digital flange that sounds extremely analog, but without the drawbacks of an analog flanger like the odd pitch modulations that go along with extremely slow flanging. I just recently got the FX747 and I'm quite impressed with it.

13. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I have tried a bunch of different flangers and the old brown Boss BF-2B in my opinion sounded the nicest. Big and lush and the bottom was still there.
    I found one for 60 bucks.
    [​IMG]

14. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Here is my BF-2.[​IMG]

15. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I rather like the BF-2 and not just because it's purple. I felt it was satisfyingly metallic and swooshy, very different sounding to my phaser pedal. I tried the EBS pedal and it seemed too subtle but maybe that's because I like flangers to be in your face or not at all. In fact, thats my view on most effects.

Alex

16. SlapDaddy

SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    I've lately noticed I'll go to my DOD fx 72 every other time I think about 'effecting' the signal. It seems to 'cut through' on the low end where the chorus doesn't.:p