Anyone have tried a BTB?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hellhound, Sep 9, 2001.

1. I have some bucks to buy a new 6 strings bass and i found that an Ibanez BTB could be a good choice, what do you thing?
  2. Sorry for my spelling fault on "thing" i really mean "think", It's a little late and keys are not my speciality.
    :D :D :D

3. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Welcome to Talkbass, hellhound.

BTB's aren't my cup of tea. But a lot of people like them.

Another 6 that's good around the same price range is a Peavey Cirrus.

I'm sure a lot of people will say the Cirrus is better... but that's naturally subjective. :)

P.S. You can use the "edit/delete" button to change your edit your posts.
  4. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    cirrus 6 is on the same price range as BTB 406???

i thought the cirrus was like $600 or more above the btb... :confused:

unless you are talking about the BTB 1006 :)
  5. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    ok... if hellhound is talking about the BTB 406 then it´s ok...

but if he´s talking about the BTB 1006 then i would vote also for the Cirrus 6... i tried a Cirrus 5 and it was great... too bad i just had the money for a BTB 400 :(
  6. My next bass will be a BTB406, no doubt.

Best bass for that money.
  7. patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    I just bought a BTB406 last week, few days beforehand bought a SoundGear 406 (tried returning it, but the shop gave me fits, so I'm going to try selling it on eBay or something, or keep it as a backup).

These are my first two 6 strings, so I can't compare it to other brands beyond Ibanez.. being able to switch back and forth regularly between the two instruments, I feel confident in saying the BTB rocks. It just sounds better than the SR - probably because of it's 35" scale? One definite result of the longer scale, the strings require more pressure to press, so until your hand is built up, there's a bit of fret buzz. I've gotten past that finally ;). All of the strings are crisp, very clean sounding, esp. the E and B. The neck is wider than the SR, but having fairly large hands, it's comfortable for me. The only mildly negative aspects of the BTB are it's weight (it's not painfully heavy - but get a good/wide strap pronto) and it's shape. The body has corners rather than a contoured shape like the SR, and tho everything is smoothed/sanded down, resting your arm can get sore, etc.. but I only find this to be the case when you are standing. Sitting down, the edges aren't a problem.

The thing is solid, good construction.. it feels like you could use it to chop down the mightiest tree in the forest (forgo the herring). The narrow neck is good for small hands, and also makes it a quick adaption from a 4 string (probably a 5 string as well). There's less tension on the neck, and narrower fret spacing, it's easy to pull off John Myung speed-demon style riffs. It's also extremely light compared to the BTB.. about 10.5 pounds. It sounds good as well, but the tones sound less defined to me, probably because of the 34" scale. The only weird thing (for me) about the SR, I don't think it's intended to be played sitting down, at least not for people 6'6". The body radius is much smaller than that of the BTB, and takes a while to adjust to when sitting (I can't explain it - it just feels off).

Both basses have passive pickups and active EQs/preamps with more or less the same features: +/- bass, +/- treble, the SR has +/- mid (not the BTB - it has a variable "shape change" control for the mid.. sort of like +/- mid with a tone control on crack, sounds funky), and a pickup fader.

IMO, both basses are very good. But they have two specific, different player targets in mind: BTB is intended for studio use where sound is everything. You adapt to the BTB. SRs are for those who want a good sounding bass that delivers in front of an audience, with all that playing live entails. Just my opinion..

hope this is helpful.. any questions, I'll clarify as best i can :)
  8. Hellhound, I haven't played the six string, but, I've played all the other BTB 4 and 5 strings, and they're all excellent basses. I don't think you can get a better bass for the price.

Mike J.
  9. Ibanez is not my style either in bass or guitar (other then the artists and the lawsuit copies), but I was very taken with a 4 string BTB I tried a couple of months ago. Not traditional Ibanez, perhaps that's why!
  10. Hey Andy D., I just heard on the radio that there was a suicide bombing in Ankara, Turkey. Are you anywhere near where this happened?

Mike J.
  11. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    A BTB is a pretty good bass. I hate those damn strings that they ship with 'em though! :rolleyes:
    those are the only Ibanezes that I like also
  12. I had a BTB1005 for a short time and it was an excellent bass. I think you will like it.
  13. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Hey, Dave Costelo, I just looked at your profile, to see your basses, and noticed you have the same birthday as me... Well, you're 4 years older than me, but still the same day...

Kinda cool, I suppose... Happy birthday tommorrow! :)
  14. I havent tried one but i´m 90 % sure that my next bass is going to be a btb405
  15. flipperwhite

Jul 12, 2001
    my band went to see another band play last weekend and they asked us to get up and play a few,their bass player had a btb 5 and it played pretty good for a 4 string player,he had a brand new hartkey (I know I just spelled that wrong) set up ,one of those cabs with 500 10' speakers(actualy 10 ten inch speakers) it had no bottom end but looked real cool,it would have sounded great through a more rounded set up.
  16. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I got to play almost all of the diffrent BTB's , and would have to say that they are all worth the money. Very good basses. they should pop the pre-amp from these things into the soundgears, and you would have a pretty good bass. The 5 strings are very nice, and not THAT expencve. my only problem is the color choices for the cheap 4 string and purple? ugh.......
  17. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000

it´s mine today...

i have to study for a test tomorrow so i can´t party right now :(

guess i´ll wait two days :D
  18. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania

hehe, thanks.

Happy birthday to you again!