Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

anyone having trouble finding Gasoline?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Johnny Fila, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    my wife said that she had to drive to 5 different stations this morning.
    and I'm on empty! ####!

2. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    damned hurricane :-( gas prices here in norway has skyrocketing :meh:

3. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    doesn't norway produce a decent amount of crude oil?

4. A lot of the stations are just putting up signs that they have no gasoline so they can stockpile it for when the price REALLY goes up in a few days...

5. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    prices went up here yesterday as much as 70 cents a gallon. theyve leveled off somewhat, but with a large disparity.
    Iv'e seen gas today for 2.99/gal to 3.49/gal. both regular, self serve. Oddly enough, cheaper gas tends to be in the area of cheaper gas and more expensive gas in the area of expensive gas (although the neighborhood hasn't mattered, good, bad, rich, poor). if one schmuck is 3.49 so is the other schmuck. at the 2.99 price, at least it ranged in the area from 2.99 to 3.09.
    the fifty cent difference too, was only maybe a mile apart.
    even stations that are the same brand have big differences.
    i paid 3.09 at shell this morning and a shell 1 mile away was 3.29 and a shell 2 miles away was 3.49. the 3.09 one was in the middle.
    these companies are raping us.

6. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York

Attorney general Elliot Spitzer is going to be looking into the dramatic gas price increases in NY.

7. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    he should! it's a bunch of BS, especially in NY where the tax on it is a percentage. least the state could do is back off on the tax somewhat and help us out for once.

where in NY are ya, Mike?

8. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Western NY, outside Buffalo.

9. up in Ithaca, unleaded is still under 3 bucks (a bargain... yeah, right)

10. Quality

Quality

May 7, 2003
    Long Beach, CA
    No problems in W. Mass yet.
    Yet being the key word.

11. I gassed up all the cars when I heard on the news that prices would be skyrocketing soon. Caught probably the last $2.99/gal gas I'm going to see for a while.

But I've had pretty good luck so far finding gasoline at gas stations. Where are you looking? :bag:

Randy

12. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Columbus, OH went from $2.40 a gallon to $3.09 a gallon. Overnight. Bastages . . . . :spit:

13. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Yea, I had to fill up last night, & wa pissed... I was estimating my cash out of pocket expenses for gas, based upon last night rise from $2.40 -> $3.09 is going to cost me an additional $16, per week.

However, I havent had any problems finding gas at this point.

14. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    NW Ohio went from $2.52 to $3.09 over night. Some stations are at $3.19 now, so I assume the rest will follow shortly.

15. Jonki

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    yes, but the prices are going up to 2$ per litre, we usally have 1.5$ per litre. and many car,truck, busdrivers and so on is disatisfied with that.

full tank with 2$ per litre multiple 50 to 60litre (tank cap) will be 100$ to 120$

16. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Hayward, Ca is sitting at $2.99 for now, up from $2.71. My current job site is Menlo Park, about 45 minutes away, and there gas went from $2.81 to $3.25. Prices will be higher, I'm sure. We were already on such a tight budget, this is gonna hit us really hard. No shortages, yet, though, and there probably won't be on the west coast.

I've heard the head of the EPA relaxed sulfur and volatility standards temporarily, which will help the supply in afflicted areas, since it means that say, Georgia will be able to use California's fuel formulation, and apparently the president is considering using an executive order to lower taxes on gas nationwide. I hope it happens, and I hope it makes people realize who's REALLY been raking us over the coals on fuel prices. I hope that anyone in the flooded and surrounding areas that is gouging gets literally raked over hot coals, after being dipped in the product they're charging so much for. Taking advantage of the desperate like that sickens me.

17. Jonki

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    one little thought i have, why are you many americans using big engined cars? 4.0 V8 engines, 3.0 V6 and so on? no wonder the gas being used fast

18. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    damn i love college

its a great time to be not driving

19. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    I hear ya.

Some stations around here jumped from $ 2.69 to $ 3.39 (some even higher) overnight.

20. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I didn't check today except for two stations, but where I am in MA, one station stayed the same from yesterday at $3.11, and one station went from $3.15 to $3.19. I've seen a few that are a $2.99. So far nothing horrible, thank god.