1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone hear of Tom Clement?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by yamdigame, May 1, 2006.

1. yamdigame

yamdigame

Apr 22, 2006
    New Jersey
    I was looking at some luthiers in the Us and I stumbled across this guy's website www.clementbass.com and his stuff looks pretty good. I decided to look up some of his stuff and found 2 nice basses on Ebay, wondering if you guys have ever played or heard about his basses. Thnaks

2. He's a regular here on TB. You'll find him posting most often down in the "Luthiers" forum.

3. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I really his work, some of his basses are more simple than others, but they are great players.

Most all of his basses are fretless, but he also has made some fretted as well. Really great work and value IMO for a handmade/custom bass.

I am a proud owner of #26.

[​IMG]
    More pics here:
    http://www.s98473082.onlinehome.us/tb/images/26/26.htm

This bass' neck is just fantastic, feeling the Qualasole neck finish is one of my favorites. Thet bass about as simple as you can get, but the J in the bridge is really all I use when playing basses with jazz pickups anyway. Plain and straight foreward to just keep me playing :bassist: Now I have LaBella tapewounds and I think it brings out the best of the bass. And actually its quite versatile with a good pre so I can dial quite a bit of tones I like for all kinds of music. To be honest I haven't yet played a better fretless 4, but I haven't tried every single, bass out there either. I might have it somewhat "updated" sometime by Tom.

4. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
  5. yamdigame

yamdigame

Apr 22, 2006
    New Jersey
    Thanks guys, what do you think of number 32, i saw it on the bay for $650 plus shipping and im thinkign of picking it up

6. Tom offered to help me get my wood flat with my first bass over a year ago and he just helped me with my second. He is a regular here and very trustworthy. I've played some of his basses including the spalted one (#36). He makes great basses. His bass necks always feel really excellent. #36 is a killer bass. It was very comfortable to play, just like the rest of his basses. I've kept in touch with him not only because he is always willing to help, but because he is also just a great guy. His basses are definitely worth the money.

7. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    FWIW, I never heard of him, but I must say those are some great looking basses! Unique design, but very classic in a sense. Verdict: Way cool!

:cool:

:bassist:

8. Yup, Tom's a straight up dude.

I met him back when I worked at Bass Central in Orlando, he brought a few of his basses in to put on consignment, and we were all pretty impressed with them, very good value, play and sound very good.

Tom's a nice guy on top of it all.

9. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    That fingerboard is SICK!!!! (in a good way!:D )

10. alboblin

alboblin

Jun 3, 2005
    I'm the owner of bass #32 made by Tom Clement. Tom is a down to earth guy that enjoys making GREAT basses. He always answers my emails, & is always willing to help. My bass was up for sale on EBay to have him make me another, but I regained my sanity. Its just too darned comfortable to play, too pretty, and just sounds so good. I want one made of spalted maple next. I can get a sweet growl, a jazzy upright, all kinds of textures from it. I also love it because it doesn't break my back over long periods of time, its very light and balances very well. It's really cool to know you have something not everyone else has,custom made just for you.

http://www.clementbass.com/index2.htm

11. yamdigame

yamdigame

Apr 22, 2006
    New Jersey
    I was looking at that bass and wanted to buy it, i emailed you about it as well after you took it off the first time!

12. alboblin

alboblin

Jun 3, 2005
    Hey yamdigame, sorry man couldn't let it go. Bass #42 is for sale on EBay right now.

13. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    I for one am VERY impressed! I've been in touch with Tom via e-mail recently, very cool guy and extremely helpful to me in determining what would work best for me in a fretless.

14. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Thanks for the kind words guys............t

15. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
  16. [​IMG]

So bueatiful, so sexy, that's art in it's purest form.

17. Unfortunately, I think you need to be a Supporting Member to post anything "For Sale". Plus, it needs to be posted in the Classifieds.

Beautiful bass, though!

18. I'm guessing you should delete the post, but I'm not a moderator.

19. Anthbass

Anthbass

Jul 24, 2006
    Canada
    Tom is making some very nice basses these days. There are a few clips up on YouTube of his work as well. Ed Friedland just put up a 'teaser':

This should give you some idea about how his basses sound. I recommend them highly, and Tom is a pleasure to work with.

20. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    I own #94 and its actually my avatar pic.
    His work is AWESOME and like everyone else is sayin'=he's a GREAT guy to work with and very resonably priced. :bassist:

Mine's my #1 player. Try his work-you will not be disappointed!

EDIT: Here's a pic I couldnt add from work:

ClementFull.