Anyone heard D.I.G.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by BenHack, Apr 18, 2001.

1. Hey Guys

I was just wondering if anyone has heard anything from the Australian band D.I.G. (Directions in Groove). I guess they'd be classified as acid jazz but all the players are jazz cats, it's just they focus on a funkier groove for these recordings. Anyway if you like simple drum and bass grooves (where they manage to find the groove within the groove) you should check them out. The drummer is fantastic and they've had a few bass players who've all been great at pumping out the funk.

If you get the opportunity try and get a hold of their live CD, it has one of the best bass + drum solos I've heard. This is how it's all supposed to be. Well check it out if you can and if anyone knows of any other recording with Sam Dixon on bass let me know. C-YA, kepp grooving

2. I used to know the sax player, Rick Robertson, when he lived in Auckland, New Zealand. A very nice player, and when DIG toured back here they were impressive. I have no idea where they are now.
  3. Hey Marty

D.I.G. have got to be one of my favorite bands but unfortunately I never got to see them live. It's a shame cause I'd like to watch Sam and Terapai play together. Oh well. Hopefully they haven't stopped playinn together and I'll get to see them some time.

On a related not a friend of mine got a lesson from Sam and siad that he was just oozing groove but also had no problem playing ome bebop lines - impressive. Keep Grooving.