Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone heard Matt Garrison's solo CD?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Oysterman, Sep 26, 2002.

1. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Seeing as I never heard the guy play but am really interested in doing so, I thought that it could be a good idea listening to his solo release to see what he's all about. But before I order a copy, I'd like to know whether I'm throwing away my money for nothing... so, has anyone listened to it yet?

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I was interested after reading about it in Bass Player, but you can't buy it in the shops - no distribution, only by mail order.

3. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    ...which is why I ask this, seeing as mail order makes already expensive CD's even more expensive!

4. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Yes Buy it!
    He's a great player, lots of neat stuff in there. He manages to use complicated harmony and make it sound hummable. His chops are great too. I like the variety of things on there -there's a sort of flamenco thing he does on one duet that is really remarkable.
    Laurence

5. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I found it to be a pretty eclectic mix of musical styles; it's a strong piece of work.
    Great playing throughout. I liked it, even if it doesn't adhere to a specific style or theme.

6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I love it! It's not just a bass album........good songwriting too:cool:

7. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    That's enough for me. I'm getting it! :cool:

8. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I bought it after I heard a track on the Bassics magazine cd (the best idea ever, BTW).

It's really a great album. It has amazing playing, but the songs are definitely the focus. Does some interesting stuff. I look forward to hearing where he goes in the future, musically.

I predict he will be a major force in the next few years. Hell, he has Jimmy Garrison's genes....:)