Anyone heard Matt Garrison's solo CD?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Oysterman, Sep 26, 2002.

1. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Seeing as I never heard the guy play but am really interested in doing so, I thought that it could be a good idea listening to his solo release to see what he's all about. But before I order a copy, I'd like to know whether I'm throwing away my money for nothing... so, has anyone listened to it yet?
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I was interested after reading about it in Bass Player, but you can't buy it in the shops - no distribution, only by mail order.
  3. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    ...which is why I ask this, seeing as mail order makes already expensive CD's even more expensive!
  4. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Yes Buy it!
    He's a great player, lots of neat stuff in there. He manages to use complicated harmony and make it sound hummable. His chops are great too. I like the variety of things on there -there's a sort of flamenco thing he does on one duet that is really remarkable.
  5. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I found it to be a pretty eclectic mix of musical styles; it's a strong piece of work.
    Great playing throughout. I liked it, even if it doesn't adhere to a specific style or theme.
  6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I love it! It's not just a bass album........good songwriting too:cool:
  7. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    That's enough for me. I'm getting it! :cool:
  8. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I bought it after I heard a track on the Bassics magazine cd (the best idea ever, BTW).

It's really a great album. It has amazing playing, but the songs are definitely the focus. Does some interesting stuff. I look forward to hearing where he goes in the future, musically.

I predict he will be a major force in the next few years. Hell, he has Jimmy Garrison's genes....:)