Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone heard of a Fender P Bass Lyte???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mezzone, Jan 4, 2005.

1. mezzone

mezzone

Jan 4, 2005
    I just wanna know has anyone ever heard of a Fender P bass lyte coz i can't seem to find one anywhere?? If you have how much would it cost, is it in production and above all what does it sound like???
    Thanks Mezzone :)

2. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    1. Yes, I have heard of them.

2. Used prices vary.

3. No, these are not in production.

4. It sounds like a P bass with a J pickup.

If I recall correctly, and these things change from day to day, Steve "Dude" Barr has one and it may be for sale.

3. the current production model Zone standard bass (PJ p/ups) is very similar to the old P Lyte.

4. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    I had a Fender P bass lyte deluxe with all wood & gold hardware. Neck bent like a banana! Was glad to see it go

5. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I've got a couple of the early 90's MIJ P-Lyte's...
    They are awesome instruments in my opinion but...
    very.......VERY thin necks. Even thinner than a typical J neck if you ask me. It's very comfortable to my hands but if you're a dedicated P neck player you may wanna think about it first. I also think the stock pickups and electronics are cheap..I upgraded mine and it really sounds good. They're very light...good stage bass especially if you play long sets.
    I definately like them.

6. Beammeup

Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Denmark
  7. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Far as I know that's correct.
    When the MIJ's were discontinued in mid-late 90's the MIA Zone was started to take the place and go a bit further on the concept.

8. Yep - Japanese only!

9. I had one until I traded it in on a Godin BG4 recently. The P-bass Lyte sounds good, plays good, slaps good. Its a pretty decent bass all around. Extremely lyte. I thought it was a little too docile and smooth for my taste, but I play agressive rock and needed something that stood out a little more. I think it looks great! Its very fragile though, easily dented. I paid approx $769 CDN for mine, brand new back in 96.

hth.

- Andrew

10. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    It is docile...until you swap out the pickups/pre.
    I put a SD 1/4'er and Dimarzio Model J in the bridge with an Aguilar pre....it hits hard now!

11. dBerriff

dBerriff

Oct 2, 2004
    Oakham, UK
    I bought one just over 10 years ago and it was nice enough but not really solid enough (I cannot think how else to put it) for a good, deep bass sound. To be fair to Fender, the name tells you what to expect.

Mine had a photoflame (or whatever they called it) finish - basically a photograph of a figured wood surface stuck on the body. So if you find an older Lyte and it looks too good to be true, it probably is. One way to spot photoflame is that the grain doesn't 'move' as you look at it from different angles.

Apart from that I seem to remember it was well made with good quality fittings.

12. I recommend the precision lyte deluxe. Mahogany body, P and humbucker style p/u's with active 3 band-eq. Better than the standard lyte. Beautiful neck and tone. Bought one used in a local music store three years ago and it's great. They frequently show up on e-bay. Made in Japan but discontinued.

13. D'OH!

- Andrew

14. 00soul

00soul

Jan 4, 2005
    seal beach, ca
    i own one, i got it used. the body is dented, there is a crack at one of the screws at the e string tuner, the frets are worn and its got chips all over the place. i love how it plays and its my first fender.

im replacing it with a ric today (being delivered) should i sell the lyte to my brothers friend for like 200 bucks and save up for another fender or something?