Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone heard of an Olivo bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mguertin, Aug 29, 2001.

1. mguertin

mguertin

Aug 29, 2001
    I just picked this thing up today, its definately luthier built, reminds me of older Lado's etc.

Excellent hardware, badass bridge, schaller tuners, active bartolini pickups w/ all the bells and whistles, neck thru, very beautiful to both look at and play. Problem is no one has ever heard of an Olivo bass before...has a serial number stamped in wood at back of headstock: R12

Anyone here shed any light on the subject? I can get some pics taken of it if it helps...

Not that it really matters who made it etc as it is a fine instrument, but I woud like to find out a little more about it if possible and the luthier.

:confused:

2. mguertin

mguertin

Aug 29, 2001
    still looking for info on this bass if anyone can help me.

It is not listed in the resalers blue book (for value) and no one I have talked to anywhere knows anything about this bass, for details seem main post in this thread, very ineterested in finding out who made this beautiful instrument. The only reference to any sort of luthier I have found with this name is a famous flamenco guitar luthier from south america (unlikely that he made this instrument from what I have read).

Any help would be appreciated.

Mark

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Can you post a pic?

4. mguertin

mguertin

Aug 29, 2001
    I will get a pic posted when I get back home from christmas hollidays, hopefully someone can help me solve this riddle.

Mark