Anyone heard of Austrovox?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jure the second, Aug 31, 2003.

1. Hi.

I just found an add. Someone is selling an 25 years old tube head called austrovox. It might need some repairing too. Can anyone help?

2. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Austrovox was an Austrian company building guitars, organs and amps in the 60ies and 70ies. Nothing too fancy I guess but quite popular in Austria.
    Here is a link to a private homepage of an Austrovox owner:

A small company founded in 1994 is also called Austrovox, they make PA cabs and say they want to continue the tradition of building affordable high quality gear (

3. Thanks. I'll probably go try it in a few days, to see, what's this all about and if it's worth it.

4. Well, I wasn't fast enough, so somebody else got this amp quite cheap. But I did some inquiring about Austrovox and considering TB has nothing about it I'll tell you, what I got:

Albert Kreuzer wrote:

"The building quality of these amps is very good, comparable with Dynacord or Echolette. The original sound is a matter of taste, however. Very clean and bright, with a deep low end and glassy highs. I would recommend to do some small (non-destructive) modifications with the tone stack and the "booster" circuit. You can make this amp sound almost like a Vox AC50 or a Selmer Treble & Bass with very little effort.
    The preamp tubes (ECC808) are somewhat hard to get, but (1) most probably they are still good, and (2) you can make adaptor sockets for ECC83, which is the same tube with a different pinout.

I don't know the numbers, but they sold quite a lot in the sixties and seventies (poor man's Marshall and Fender). They were developed by Viennese engineer Stuzzi, who became famous for his tape recorders (reporters used them a lot) and hifi stuff. Those amps are very well-built from a technical point of view."

I thank Albert again and hope this helps somebody else too.