Anyone heard of doing this...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by LukeMan970, Aug 18, 2005.

1. LukeMan970

Jun 22, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I've heard of people putting super glue on there picking fingers to protect them in a way. I was thinking about doing this because no matter how much i play i can't get any caluses to form on my fingering hand and so my fingers just hurt all the time. do you guys think the super glue is a good idea or do you have any other suggestions?
  2. Ego

Jan 10, 2004
    just keep playin man, the pads will come. if you REALLY have to, it's proably work... but try to tough it out, you'l be better for it
  3. permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    I've been playing for (ouch) 20 years now. I've never really developed caluses except for a little thicker/tougher skin on the outsides of my left pinky and index fingers (probably because these fingers do the majority of sliding) and my right index finger (I use it more than the middle finger, I'll often use one finger to get a more uniform attack). But it's subtle, can barely be called caluses. When I regularly messed around on a steel string acoustic g****r, caluses developed (thinner, tighter strings probably).

Anyway, back to you... the fingers hurting thing - is this skin-deep pain or could it be more muscle/tendon pain? Maybe a technique check could help, and making sure your fingers/forearms are stretched and warmed up before rippin' away?

And I won't hesitate sealing up little cuts with superglue, but other than the CA I understand there's other stuff in commercial superglues that's no good for you. I doubt it'd help you anyway, but if you get a little cut on your finger opening a can of pineapple chunks right before you hafta play, a little superglue can make it a non-issue.
  4. fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    if the playing isnt enough do some gardening and carpentry ;)
  5. Ive developed calluses on my right hand, but I play with a pick. Oh...wait a minute...those came from a different website, nevermind. Would you excuse me.
  6. Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I've heard that Flea has done this; however, he plays like a madman. Dude, how hard are you plucking those strings? You're playing electric, you don't have to pluck that hard. Turn up the volume and use a lighter touch.

The only time I ever had finger pain like you have is when I played in a Jazz group and my upright didn't have a pickup on it. I was whomping on those strings just to be heard. I got a callaus, then a blister, then a callaus over the blister. It was nuts.

Use the volume. ;)

7. Futurebass

Jun 22, 2005
    Following this advice will make you a candyass player just like 95% of the bassists out there.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Don't you hate it when people can't find the exact words to say how they feel?

Don't use Super Glue. Super Glue is not for beginners. Super Glue is for guys who just play so darn much that their fingers rip and tear open no matter what they do. Be a man (or woman for those ladies of the female gender out there). What I really think is going on is that you may not be playing enough. Play until your fingers show the first signs of getting raw. Then don't play for 3 hours. Then come back and play until they just start to get raw again. Do that 3x a day for about 4 days, and you will start to form calluses. You're going to have to play through some pain at first, but it gets easier.

As for playing with a light touch, I agree with Futurebass. But don't beat the strings mercilessly and make them clank all over the place either.
  9. Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Ouch. Harsh...
  10. bfitz

May 18, 2005
    lorain, ohio
    This is a trick that I learned from a teacher when I was playing upright. It hurts a little but it works. For a few minutes at a time, rub your fingers over the strings up and down the fret board until you get a groove in you finger and it’s red. Do this for a few days and you will have calluses. I used it to build up my thumb for the higher positions.
  11. find a nice concrete wall or some sand paper and just rub awaythen heal then rub etc.

thats if your really desperate. other than that dont worrie. i dont have very calius skin just alittle thicker and if you feel fretting or sliding pain just put up with it. if on the other hand its mucle or tendon pain work on your technique or you can do real damage.
  12. LukeMan970

Jun 22, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I'll take the advice and try the rubbing up and down the strings and try the play for a while stop 3 hours and play some more thing to. But i wasn't really talking about when i'm doing just finger style, i can play that for a while, but when i'm switching between finger and slap often (like i do) then they start to hurt because of the popping, so i'll just man up though and try those things i guess. thanks for all the advice though.
  13. Starbucker

Starbucker Guest

Jun 29, 2005
    Billings, MT
    Sick bastard.
  14. OrderingEntropy

Jun 17, 2005

Nothing sick about it. :D <-- That little fellow obviously just did it...
  15. travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Also, after you work your skin a little raw, put on some healing lotion, or some vitamin E from the little gelcaps. That will help your body repair and build new skin. There are also those calus builder things that you can carry around. They are little plastic things that have raised "strings" for you to carry around and work your fingers on.

16. you post on too?
  17. theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Yup just keep playing thats what I say. Your hands will eventually calouse up to you level of playing. When I started playing with my current band my fingers were raw after a weekends gigging practice because I wasn't used to playing that much and that hard at the same time. But now my fingers are toughened up nicely.
  18. Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    When I was trying to learn Blackeyed Blonde by the Chili Peppers, I played it for about an hour or 2 for 2 days running, and by the end I had 2 big calluses with a gap inbetween for where the string is plucked :/ It was weird, but it got me calluses never the less. But then I went on holiday for a week and they went down :( Now I can't seem to get them back again.

If it's the popping that's hurting, just keep doing it. You'll get the skin there in no time ;)
  19. chimp

Dec 4, 2004
    South Africa
    Try using meths on your finger tips after playing. My double bass teacher does this otherwise just practising should do it and practising correctly!!
  20. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

I've just realised... my calluses have pretty much gone since I changed strings?! Went from steel roundwounds on my fender to nickel roundwounds... there's a little bit of callus there, but nothing to be proud of!

Luckily my fingers don't hurt... I get some arm pain, but that's cos I'm tense... gonna start another thread about that.

So maybe, if you want a callus, you should change to steel strings?! I've not got enough experience in strings to know really, but I play for about 3 / 4 hours a day at the moment...