Anyone heard of Dr Bass Cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Da LadY In Red, Sep 20, 2004.

1. Hey, does anyone have any experience with these bass cabinets?

Here's there website for those who ask

The RX has quite a few dBs coming out of them, quite a low response range, and the 2x10 (the one I'm most interested) only weighs 40 lbs.

What do you guys think? What's probably better, the new Avatar Neo 2x10, or Dr Bass's RX series 2x10?

Thanks for the time, guys.
  2. Good advice, Nick, but there were no results that I found with the search feature.

Does not a single person in these forums own/ have tried one before???
  3. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    actually, there are several ppl who use them. emprov, tom bowlus, myself, etc. its hard to search on them because of the naming/searching conventions.

try dr.bass (no space), or drbass, or just search on mine or emprov's name, as we are both avid supporters.

marc serio, who is dr bass, and has the talkbass title of drbass, and can sometimes answer some questions (when he is not dealing with hurricannes, lightening strikes, falling off of rooves, gigging, or pulling double shifts in his factory to handmake all of the cabs that ppl are ordering these days.

i love my 1260, and i just ordered a 115 today.

what other things would you like to know?
  4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    If you can get your search terms down right, you certainly should find a lot of previous threads on this topic. But, so long as I am responding, I'll throw out a few tidbits.

I managed to acquire a pair of experimental cabs that Marc had built. They are a 2x10 and a 1x15, and are generally similar to the birch series on the Dr. Bass website. Both cabs use neo drivers, and the two 10's were custom 16 ohm drivers, for an overall rating of 8 ohm. I am very impressed with these cabs. They sound much bigger than their compact size would lead you to believe, and speaking of the size, I think that they are about ideal. The two of them stacked look quite respectable, but carrying one is a breeze (especially with the neos), and your grip is very comfortable. They will fit into about any vehicle, too. The 1x15 is so light, that I can't resist asking my bandmates to help me carry this "heavy" cab, then seeing the look on their face. :p

All in all, they are very well balanced, tonally, although not quite as smooth sounding as some of my "high end" cabs (EA, Accugroove, Epifani, etc.). However, Marc has generously offered to try some potential improvements, and is working on them right now (in between hurricanes and whatnot). I preferred the 2x10 to the 1x15 as a standalone, but the two sound great together. I have posted much more detail in the older threads.

There are a handful of bass cab manufacturer's out there that I am really excited about, and feel that they produce truly outstanding products for the money. Dr. Bass cabs are on this short list. And on top of that, Marc has proven to be extremely nice to work with.

Hope this helps, Tom.
  5. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    unlike tom, i have only had experienence with with the lower end equipment, so i am biased. i do agree that an accugroove may have a better sound than dr.bass. but for the same price as a mid-sized accugroove, you could get a dr. bass 1260, 1080, 212, AND a 115 cab. :eek:

(disclaimer: i AM NOT attacking accugroove, or tom. just making a statement about how high end gear does cost. so that has to play into decisions on gear. )

i personally consider dr. bass to be high quality, at low end prices. i may move up to a high end cab one day, but at this point i cant see that happening anytime soon. personally, i'm wondering when i will have enough money to get more dr bass cabs. :)
  6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    No offense taken! That is good advice, and I agree that Dr. Bass cabs are very good for the money. Low Down Sound cabs are also in that category.
  7. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Can anyone speak to the differences in real world use between the Rx and Bl series?
  8. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca

marc makes a statement to the effect that plywood (BI) absorbs sound and rounds it out, while MDF (Rx) passes it, and gives more mid and volume. i may be misquoting him on this. give him a call. he is swamped, so you may have to leave a message, or call back. WARNING: :eek: if you call to ask him info on his amp, you will end up buying one. he has an infectious personality. :D

i have no experience with low down sound ( lds ), or avatar, but from what i read on this board, i think they probably make fine equipment. which is better comes down to tone taste.
  9. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    It says the Rx series uses LeSon tweeters. What kind of drivers do they use?
  10. Eminence, mostly deltas or deltalites for the neos. He has a variety of tweeters besides the LeSons as well.
  11. Well, I've read a ton of a stuff, and I think I'm gonna go out on a limb and go with Dr. Bass.

I emailed Marc, seems to be a really awesome guy, and he suggested that for my specifications that a RX 2x12 would be ideal. Any opinions on it? I read the links, and it's too hard to distinguish which are comments on the RX series or BL series.

I think I'm gonna have to either get an active preamp and/or change to roundwounds if I pair my pretty clean Peavey Mark VIII with an RX 2x12 (if they're as uncolored and good sounding as claimed to be). Anyone concur? I have an OLP MM2 bass with upgraded passive pickups, I'm in the middle of making it a full fledged Stingray.
  12. I'm new to TB but have visited often when I wanted real user comments on equipment, so here goes!

I purchased and recently received my Rx 212, and I like it more and more every time I play it . I echo all the positive things said about "Dr. Bass" himself, though he probably wishes he could clone himself right about now to take care of all the business. I wanted something light (hence the Rx model was chosen) I wanted something that could get loud and deep (I play a 5-string active), and be punchy enough to cut through a very busy stage mix (7-piece band with drummer and percussionist). The cabinet is very efficient and I was able to run it with my Hartke Kickback 10. (I know..I know, its rated for 8 ohms only but it did fine with the 4 ohm cab and never heated up..much!!). I have since purchased a GK 400 rbiv and it really kicks out the tone, and even at 280 watts @ 4 ohms, will shake the house (literally).
    My diagnosis: take one and call me in the morning.

13. I have a Dr 212 Absolutely amazing cab.
  14. I own a Dr Bass 212 Absolutely amazing. I played and/or owned just about every boutique cab out there. This is one of the tightest sounds put there. Compares to Aguliar, Schroeder, EBS
  15. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Banned Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    You just replied to a thread from 2004. We call them zombie threads.
  16. username1

Dec 28, 2005
    alberta canada
    GregC likes this.