1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone heard of Grape brand cabinets???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ashtray, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Found someone selling them online (used) but know nothing about them, and a google and talkbass search both came up blank.

Any info would be helpful! Thanks!!

2. Bump.

Here's the ad I was looking at, I was thinking of picking up some cool looking cabs on the cheap side - but was hoping for some feedback if anyone's even seen these before???

Unfortunately, they're not close by me, so I can't just run and check them out at lunchtime or after work.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/msg/842939473.html

3. Bassgirlsara

Bassgirlsara

May 22, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Ive never heard of those, maybe they meant orange :p

4. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Just so you know... the 110 may be spoken for... :ninja:

Grape was a small-time operation by this guy out of San Diego. I think all of those cabs should be 8ohms... sometimes he didn't put the cab watt rating on it, though. :help:

5. southshoreconor

southshoreconor

Oct 30, 2007
    The Road
    Endorsing Artist: Fender Musical Instruments, SIT strings
    guy has a pretty incredible bootleg vhs collection..

6. pedalguy1

pedalguy1

Jun 3, 2008
    Riverton Utah
    That single ten looks more like a 12" to me, but i'm probably wrong since he said everything else are 8's.

7. SpankyPants

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Photo13.

(Yeah... I need a power amp.)

Paul's a super guy! Used to play in a band with the drummer from Megadeath.

These speakers are from ~2000. Sound nice and clean. Got plenty loud, too. Bear in mind that I was testing it in a garage with a 400w Peavey head. They aren't Bergantino, but for my first trial, I liked 'em better than Eden and Aguilar.

They don't have tweeters, but they're all ported. They don't really need tweeters (and I LOVE my treble) since they're such small speakers though. I haven't had the chance to crack it open to look at the actual wattage of the driver yet. Only 1/4' connectors, but the 6X8 and 4X8 can be bridged.

How do they compare to SWR? I think they've got more punch than SWR, but SWR has a much broader freq range... and it felt like tighter lows.

I like 'em. For $90? Way worth it. I'll probably keep it even after I get another gig rig.

8. Great! Thanks for the review! see? *This* is the great thing about TalkBass... you ask for info on something, and someone goes out and tries out the actual stuff you were looking at! Hands on review on demand! Crazy! What a nice guy. Can't believe... hey wait... that 110 looks... like... the.. one - in the ad! Hey! You scooped my cab! Gaugh! Two timing, back stabbing, son of a...) :D

Joking!!!

I'm still debating those 8's. Looking at a power amp at the moment - but when I get back in town, if those 8's are still around, I might grab one of them. :)

Btw - tell me you went to check out the cabs in "full face makeup". ;)

9. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    i want that 6x8!

10. SpankyPants

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hey, man... it was already... spoken... for... :bag:

You should totally try out those 8's. I think it'd be more than worth it, and they probably wouldn't be too hard to flip.

And I can't figure out for the life of me why everyone keeps talking about makeup!

11. Thought I'd update this thread 6 1/2 years later. Still haven't found out more about the maker, and the speakers are blank on the magnets, so unsure what its loaded with. Will say this: they sound fantastic! Got custom made grills for them from a machine shop in LA. Very well made and very balanced tone.

72032D8C-D54A-4688-9689-89D731F07E0C.

12. Nice tower of grape. Hope the vintage has aged well.