Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone heard of Muse?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Serac, May 29, 2005.

1. Serac

Serac

May 29, 2005
  2. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    Ehh, i dont know if your ask if you achieve such greatness with a guitar, or with the bass one MF...

But the answer is in either ay, NO.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Yeah, Chris is a pretty good player. I've been listening to them a bit lately... good bands!

Welcome to TalkBass!

4. Serac

Serac

May 29, 2005
    well obviously I won't be as good as him, but I'm wondering, does that guitar I was looking at have the possiblity to play that tone and sound of that? Cause I like that kind of sound and want to play it...

5. lopsy_lu

lopsy_lu

Feb 15, 2005
    Scotland, UK.
    I'm going to be honest here..

No

Muse's bass player Chris Wolstenholme manily uses Pedulla Rapture 4 string, which is a pretty high end instrument, not the kind of sound you're going to get from a squier starter pack.

Also, he switches between 3 amps and uses a variety of fuzz/overdrive pedals, so to answer your question, you will never get Chris Wolstenholme's tone out of that bass.

6. Syeknom

Syeknom

Oct 17, 2004
    Leuven, Belgium
    There was a thread on Chris a while ago, personally I think he is awesome. His bass lines really drive the song whilst Matt's vocals and guitar dominate. Chris also knows when to show a lot of restraint, especially considering Matt's particularly high energy way of performing, but can kick out some MONSTER riffs when he wants.

Muscle Museum, Bliss, Hysteria and Hyper Music are some very fun basslines to play =)

7. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    I would go the other way and say yes. The Fender Rumble are excellent starter amps (I still use one for practicing and stuff). With the Squire bass, you'll eventually have to replace the bridge and the pickups - at least. Replacing Squire pickups and bridges is so easy, you do it with your eyes closed. One other drawback with the Squire bass, is that the body is made of Agathis. Tone-wise, I would say once you latch on playing bass forever, you'll wanna get a body made of Ash or Alder.

Go with the starter pack, and see if you like it.

8. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    I would also say yes. I garantee that I could pick up a Squire Pbass and run any distortion through it and play "hysteria" and you wouldn't notice too much difference. Granted he has great equipment, but what makes him sound so good is in his fingers and no piece of gear can touch that. You would need to be able to play simple bass lines in good rhythm before even worrying about nailing his 16th note lines.

BTW I think he is an awesome creative bass player.

9. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    one of the few bands/bass players i listen too.

btw, i thinkt he used a stingray 5 for a while. there was a clip on mtv.com of time is running out, and he appeared to be using the sr5.

10. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    Muse is a cool band. Been listening to them a bit in the car lately.

11. I like them a bunch! Believe it or not the bassline to Hysteria isn't all that complex. It just takes stamina to play all the way through.

Great basslines.

12. Syeknom

Syeknom

Oct 17, 2004
    Leuven, Belgium
    Stamina, speed and fuzz =P