Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone heard of Pleasure?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by rojo412, Jun 3, 2003.

1. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I was listening to a compilation CD set called "The Funk Box" (and if you find this, BUY IT!!!). One of the bands featured (among a few others that I'd never heard of) was "Pleasure" and the song was "Glide."

I had never heard of them, but the skills that the bassist had were awe inspiring. If you know who these guys are, please let me know who the bassist was. The music is incredibly smooth and funky, but I haven't seen much about them.

2. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Pleasure's Nathaniel Philips has been one of my favorite players for a long time.

Check out "Thoughts of Old Flames" if it's on the recordings you have.

3. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Did these guys ever have a hit? From what I've heard, it's all incredible music, but not familiar to me.
    Oh, any album recommendations? Or is there just 1?

4. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    The albums "Greatest of Pleasure", "Dust Yourself Off" and "Accept no Substitutes" are the only three records from them I recall. I think "Glide" made some noise on the charts in '79. My now-retired-from-gigging boss was active in those days and turned me onto this stuff."Greatest of Pleasure" is regarded as the must-have.

Pleasure was just one of those bands that never captured the ears of a huge audience like Earth, Wind, and Fire or the Commodores. The Ohio Players, Slave, Mandrill, and the Kay Gees are lesser known groups that deserve a listen as well.

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Also, if you can find it, get "Future Now". That, IMO, was their best album. Man, I love it when people discover great music.

6. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    And I love discovering it!

7. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    If you ever get the chance to check out The Dazz band or Jeff Lorber live chances are the Bassist will be Nate Phillips(nate replaced the original bassist in the Dazz band,after its Bassist commited suicide a few years back)

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    New copies on VINYL at www.dustygroove.com

9. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    I just LOVE Nat. Philips bass work in Pleasure. I have two albums in CDs, "greatest of pleasure" and "accept no substitutes/dust yourself off". It's my favorite kind of Funk.

I also have a Jeff Lorber compilation (with Kenny G on some cuts!) and the bass work is great too... but it's not Nat Philips on this album.

Dazz Band is great too... like Gap Band and a lot of other bands from that era.

Ari

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    The Jeff Lorber Fusion with Danny Wilson(another Philly boy) on bass & Dennis Bradford on cans...those two guys hit it hard.

11. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Danny Wilson and Bradford were a very tight unit.no Nate is not on any of the Jeff Lorber Fusion recordings.he tours with Lorber from time to time.

12. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Holy S**t! I didn't know that! He was good! Why would he do something like that?! :(

13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    'Chuck-
    Ever read "Richard Corey"...a short poem by Edwin Arlington Robinson?
    On the surface, everything may not be as it appears.
    Life is never neat.

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    One of my all-time favorite unsung bass/drums duos. Those two were ridiculously tight. Each side of those albums could be the basis for a smoking live set. Pick up "Water Signs".

I've been let down by every Lorber project since then.

15. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Phillips was one of my biggest influences back in the day. I just loved his approach. Put him together with BC on drums and.... damn:D

I've yet to hear someone actual play the drum part on "Glide" close to the original.

16. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Me, too. There was a time I would put the record back in the bin whenever I saw Lorber's name listed in the credits.

I think I do have Water Signs; I'll have to look & re-visit. Thanks!

17. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    A drummer friend of mine just let me check out Jeff's latest project. He loved it.

I didn't.

18. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I wonder why none of the JLF projects haven't been re-released on CDs? :( He released that compilation called the The Definitive Collection which is not definitive to me at all! If I could get Water Signs, Galaxian and is it Wizard Island? I wouldn't need any more of Jeff.

Oh yeah? Although it's not Pleasure, Adam Nitti's Truth sure seems to have that Pleasure-esque kinda vibe to me. :)

Truth

19. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I have Wizard Island on cd... the other 2 on LP.

20. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Where did you get it on disc Jim?