Anyone heard of Ranaan Meyer?

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Tbeers, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I don't know if anyone here knows anything about this guy. I just got to college and it seems like he is the guy offering classical private lessons. Just thought I would ask around... a google search mostly came back with sites that list him as a sideman, I didn't get a lot out of it.

2. Justin K-ski

Justin K-ski

May 13, 2005

I also live in princeton, I'm assuming you're at the university. Ranaan Meyer is a recent curtis grad. He also plays in a jazzish trio with 2 violinist. He is very young (under 25 I think), but anyone out of Hal's studio WILL be an absolute beast.

I've heard that princeton also has a special music program (I think it might be mus. majors only) that the school would pay for you to have lessons with anyone in NY or Philly. In that case you've got Robinson, Kesselman, Levinson, Mench.

If you're looking for improv/jazz lessons, email me and I can hook you up with Joe Federico, who was the protege to Dennis Sandole (Coltrane's teacher). Welcome to princeton.
  3. Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hey man... thanks, small world I guess.

I'll have to ask the music department about that special program. For the time being I'm not sure on jazz lessons... it will all depend on how much subsidy I can get.

Thanks for the info!
  4. Futurebass

Jun 22, 2005
    Subsidy? Learn jazz because you love it! Or not because you don't. Geez, kids nowadays!
  5. Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hmm, well we all have our different philosophies. I will say that I've had a jazz lesson with any number of fine players, but I feel as though classical training and teaching improved my jazz more than the actual jazz teachers did! There are many who believe jazz learning and the lesson/classroom setting do not mix.