1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Anyone heard of Sonic Bass Cabinets??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sadowskyschmaus, Oct 3, 2006.

1. sadowskyschmaus

sadowskyschmaus

May 29, 2006
    Tokyo, JP
    I recently aquired an old Sonic bass cabinet. It has an 18" and two 10" drivers (now the drivers are relatively new JBL's) and sounds great. I can't find much information about sonic online. If anyone has any information about this company or has had experience with using their cabs it would be great if you could drop me a line.

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive Suspended Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
  3. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    I have owned a Sonic 2x15 cab for 20 years, loaded with JBL E 140's. Still going strong. I also owned the 18 2x10 cab, but did'nt have enough power to drive it, so I sold it. They originally came with EV speakers, or you could order them empty like I did.

4. monkeyfinger

monkeyfinger Moderator Staff Member

I have a Sonic 1x15 with a JBL E 140. Paid $140 for it. Love it.

5. AckAckAttack

AckAckAttack

Aug 27, 2006
    I've got a Sonic 4X10 that was professionally reinstalled with Eminence Betas. I got it at guitar center used for $150, since they didn't bother to look inside at what kind of speakers were in there.
    I compared this side by side with my Ashdown Mag Deep 4X10 and the Sonic was about equal for lows with the Ashdown, but for mids and highs the Sonic beat the Ashdown hands down. I'm really happy with my Sonic, they seem to be well made cabs, so I hope you will be too!

6. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    The company was called "BullFrog" before it became Sonic.

7. Sonic Bass Cabs

Good solid designs, they've kept pretty much the same models they have now for the past four or five years.

Before that, they had some interesting cabs such as the Micromini 15". They also made a Micromini 18", one of which I bought empty, loaded with an Electro-Voice EVM-18B, creating a compact, clear, and loud cabinet.

8. Reef, you sure about that?

9. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Yep! Not quite sure if BullFrog was bought out by somebody who changed the name to Sonic or they just changed the name for the heck of it, but the OLD BullFrog company became Sonic around the mid 80's.

The name BullFrog re-emerged in the early 90's with the Alumabass cabs. I'm not sure what connection(if any) they had to the early 80's BullFrog company.

BTW, the old BullFrog stuff sounded great! I had a pair of full range PA speakers that were loaded with EVM18B's and if they didn't fall apart because they were made of particle board I would probably still have them today. Around the time they changed the name to Sonic everything went to plywood. Now that I think about it they may have changed the name because they were getting a reputation for having cabs that fell apart.

10. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
  11. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I used a couple of Bullfrog 3ways for PA tops for about 5 or 6 years. I retired them in favor of a couple of Peavey sp-2xt cabs that sounded a little clearer and more importantly, were a hell of a lot lighter. Finally sold them about a year ago. Those things might not have been the best sounding 3ways on the market (although they didn't sound bad by any stretch of the imagination), but they were freaking troopers. I used and abused those cabs for years (approx. 3 nights a week average). While they gained some battle scars, they never even whimpered. Just kept right on trucking. I have no doubt they are still working for the fellow I sold them to.

If this Sonic company is making anything comparable to those Bullfrog mains I had, then I wouldn't be surprised that they were good, solid, dependable, bread-and-butter cabinets.

12. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I hade a sonic 410 for at least 5 years and it never gave me any problems. It sounded great, good full sound and well worth the price they go for.

13. I've been using a JBL loaded Sonic compact 1 X 15" for about 8 years with no problems; it sounds great.

14. lo, is yours the Micromini 15? Post a pic of it- let's see it. I'll do a pic of my MM18.

15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive Suspended Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    I have the micromini 15 too.

16. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    changed the name to Sonic everything went to plywood. Now that I think about it they may have changed the name because they were getting a reputation for having cabs that fell apart-------------------------------Unfortunately, thats not true. I was going to buy an empty 610 cab from them, but alas, they are still made of particle board or MDF, they had some other fancy name for it, I believe it was OSB or oriented strand board, but its still crap board. If it had been plywood, I would have bought one.

17. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I recently plugged in a used Carvin 1x10 combo into a Sonic mini 115 at a Music Go Round store...it sounded pretty good.

Eli has been using his Mini 15 heavily for the last 10 to 15 years.

18. I used a Sonic cab with the 18" and 2x10" for years. Mine came loaded with EVs and sounded great at the time but the 18" was a little too "floppy" for what I my tastes (not really the cab's fault, just personal taste) and the cab is not too ergonomically designed so it was a chore to haul around. As far as construction and reliability I never had any problems on that end.

19. I have no idea what model mine is, but it's v-e-r-y small and front vented. It had a JBL E-140 in it when I bought it, but it needed work so I threw in a JBL (M-300?) I had laying around and they're a match made in heaven.

20. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Didn't realize that Micromini 15 was still so popular!

Lessee... got the Carvin rig in '94, had already had the Sonic micromini 15 for a couple of years... 15 years is about right.

Bought mine second-hand with an EVM-15B Pro-Line in it... at the time I was using an Ashly BP-41 and a Yamaha power amp that would do 300 W at 8 ohms bridged. Smoked the EV, got it re-coned, and smoked it again... I probably clipped the power amp. BillyB still has that EV carcass in his bassment [sic].

In my blissful ignorance (before I knew that Thiele-Small parameters existed), I bought a Carvin (Eminence) 500W 8ohm 15" spk for it in '94 which by dumb luck has always sounded great... until it finally gave up the ghost at an '05 Halloween party when I hit it with 3 boss pedals, not stopping to think that they were all set for a little bit of gain and I had already been up pretty loud... :rollno: Since I figured any speaker that can take bass guitar for 11 years has gone above and beyond the call of duty, I replaced it with another Carvin.

I'va always loved the Micromini's sound, size and weight, and hope I never have to replace the box itself.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 13, 2021