Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone heard of this model before?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Concord77, Nov 7, 2005.

1. Concord77

Concord77 Guest

Aug 20, 2005
    I just picked up an Ibanez SoundGear 50830 Custom bass, gently used at a music store in Toronto. Apparently, it's some prototype or an extremely limited run, because I can't find it anywhere on Google except the store's own website. The sales guy told me it's 6-8 years old, and probably sold for $1400-1500 CDN new. I got it for $1000 incl. tax, a hard case, set-up and 6-month warranty. Anyone seen or played this bad boy before? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

MANUFACTURER: Ibanez
    DESCRIPTION: Natural finish, offset double cutaway contoured mahogany/ walnut body, bolt on 5 piece bubinga/wenge neck with wenge fretboard, "Custom Made" inlay at the 24th fret, 2 Ibanez P/J style pickups, Monorail bridge pieces with D-tuner, 2 per-side Gotoh machines, volume/ blend/ Vari-mid 3 band EQ controls, with case.

Attached Files:

• Bass.jpg
      Bass.jpg
      File size:
      27.3 KB
      Views:
  2. Oliver

Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    cool, woods like a warwick, whats the tone like?

3. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    That would be an SR-5000MM you have there. Ibanez was making some pretty nice basses out of woods you don't typically see in production-run basses (Bubinga, Padauk, Walnut, etc.) in the mid-to-late 90's, but post-grunge everyone and their mother was trading in their overseas instruments for Fenders. It's not "custom" in the true sense of the word, as the inlay was the equivalent of their "Prestige" line these days (an extra level of QC, better fretwork...) but you're correct in that most of their higher-end basses were only produced for a year or two (13XX, 15XX, 20XX, 40XX, 50XX)

I'm a fan of that era of Ibanez basses, so I personally think you got a great "unknown" on your hands. Nice score! :D

4. Concord77

Concord77 Guest

Aug 20, 2005
    Hey, thanks for the research, scarred2112. Turns out the pic is a little deceiving, because it actually has the dull mahogany finish and the off-set pickups, making it the '97 model. Still, there can't be too many out there. And Oliver, the tone is woody, almost like a double bass. It's an interesting combination with my Ampeg RocketBass amp!