1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone heard of this wood?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ~ignited~wings~, Mar 18, 2009.

1. I'm onto my second build, and I'd planned on doing a jatoba/maple/jatoba/maple/jatoba laminate neck through. but my middle laminate twisted, and was unusable.

So my teacher (I attend a luthiery/lutherie school), pulled out a random plank of wood that he'd been using on his boat and said, "why not give this a try?"

After some research I've discovered it's called Angelim Pedra (cool name) and it seems pretty resonant. I wonder why I've never seen it used on guitars before?

Anyway, has anyone seen this wood before on a guitar or a bass?

2. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    should be good. very durable, and water resistant. very hard, so, go for it

3. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    ^ Seriously - You have used it before?

To be honest, I have not heard of it or anything from the hymenolobium family (thank you google)

It appears to be a flooring wood and a lot of "exotic" bass woods are also used in flooring...

4. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    ive used it for a small project, i made a little chair for my neice, i figure with it being banged around alot i wanted something durable. it worked great, milled cleanly, and is very strong. it would be good for a fingerboard me thinks, but should make a nice stiff neck if you want one

5. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    vbass, can you post a pic of the chair? I'd like to see what that wood looks like when worked and finished. From the pics I've seen online it looks kind of boring...

6. ToxicAce

ToxicAce

May 17, 2006
    I've seen it on a guitars..... yours!!!!!

7. NonsenseTele

NonsenseTele

Oct 11, 2008
    Brazil
    Angelim Pedra is a brazilian wood, the latin name I'm not sure, found one name in each page I searched... :help:

But I've never heard of being used on musical instruments... It's usually used in house buildings and fornitures...

Mind that 99.9% of houses in Brazil are made by concrete, so it's more used as base of rooftop and things like this