Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone heard of.....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jumping_Bomb_Angel, Apr 21, 2002.

1. ..a Proaxe bass?

Im bidding on one on an online auction - no photo - my high bid is $40 NZ so it wont break the bank.

I figure if its crap, I can customise it or re-sell it ot turn it into a zany wallhanging or lampshade. :)

Anyone had any experience of these? Perhaps they are slightly rogue-ish?

Thank you and goodnight.

2. Good question. I've never heard of em. But then again I had never heard of Cahuenga basses either, but I got it anyway. No name basses are fun, cuz they are usually cheap as hell. At least if it sux, you didn't know it sux before hand, like if you were to buy a Hondo. :rolleyes:

But, I like my no name. Only problem, it broke the day I got it. :mad: But it should be any easy fix.

I like the idea of making a lamp out of it. :D

3. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    A google search turns up that it's a former line made by Charvel or Jackson. Try "proaxe guitar".

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've seen lots of threads like this and it makes no sense to me - why would you want to fill your home with loads of junk basses?

I would pay somebody to take stuff like this away - I am constantly throwing junk away - I can't believe people buy it on ebay! :confused:

Maybe it's because people in NZ or the US have more space and huge yards or whatever to pile up junk and in England we have less space to waste? Maybe I'll start a thread about it somewhere else? ;)

5. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Apparently, Bruce, you're one of those eggheads who plays for the music rather than the toys...;) :rolleyes: :D

:: ducks for cover ::

6. Hey Bruce....if your ever 'throwing out' any bass related gear, gimme a shout.....one man's junk is anothers treasure......:p

*Si*

7. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    Haven't you heard the famous quotation: Everything in the name of science!

I frequently have crazy ideas but have no raw material to work with...

:dr frankenstein voice on:
    It's ALIVE! [​IMG]
    :dr frankenstein voice off:

8. It's that all-important rule of life and death:

he who has the most toys wins.

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Bruce, I think I have a rational answer to your query. You need at least one of these basses to take to your gigs in case someone wants to play your bass. You hand this one to them carefully, cautioning that this is your "baby," your "pride and joy." It was custom-built for you by Roger as a prototype, and it's the only one like it in the world.

Then, when he/she's done playing and is handing it back to you, ga-WHOMP! You drop the son-of-a-biscuit, and blame it on him/her!

10. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If I haven't heard of a bass brand, I figure it's made by Samick or some other company Munji owns.

11. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    In the end, they're ALL made by Samick. By the way, Rick, your avatar may be the best I've seen. I really like that. Can I have it?

12. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Thanks, Munji. I was afraid you were going to let the word out that Samick is made by Peavey.

On your avatar, I like the current serial killer vibe. But maybe a "Help Munji Get a New Aavatar" thread needs to be started. I've seen some dandies.

13. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Funny you should mention that serial killer thing. Many folks of the time said I had a striking resemblance to Charlie Manson. Of course, many said I looked like Jesus, too. Go figure.

I've been trying to find my program that can produce animated gifs. I'll come up with something. Maybe like a compund fracture happening.

14. Bruce, When I said cheap, I meant inexpensive, not low quality. Before it broke :rolleyes: it was a very good sounding bass. All it needs is the pickups rewired and a setup. I spent all of $55 for a back up bass and something to fix up. I could throw in the best electronics, and still end up paying less than a MIM Fender P. I mean after all, what's in a name?