anyone here a fan of 'stoner rock' ?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mind Eroded, Nov 25, 2004.

1. I honestly hate calling the genre this but im talking about bands such as Kyuss, Monster Magnet, Nebula, BLS to some extent, etc. Personally, my fav band is Kyuss and i think Scott Reeder could be one of the most underated bassplayers of the 90's, so who digs this kind of music at TB?
  2. I like Monster Magnet. Everything but Monolithic baby is pretty much good. But the new one just doesnt do anything for me.
  3. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    my boyfriend loves Kyuss but i don't dig them as much.

their music makes me feel slightly nauseous now, since it was playing in his room when we came back from a very drunken night and the swaying repetitive rythem made me throw up.
  4. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Would David Bowie's "The Man Who Sold the World" or "Diamond Dogs" qualify as stoner rock? If so, I dig "stoner rock" too.

Damn, I miss Rick Bass.
  5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    HELL YEAH I DO! I also don't dig the whole stoner title... I do not partake in the partakables, but Heaviness that grooves with floaty melodic whatnot on top of it. Whenever I pickup a guitar, I sound "stoner" or "doom"... probably because it's such rhythmically based heaviness, and I'm a bassist...

... I mean... I wasn't here... I didn't post this...

6. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
  7. heck yeah! I love it. I used to be more into it that at the moment, but wow, when I didcoverd it I was like "this is what I've been looking for all these years" :)
    Started of with "Queens of the Stoneage" who I saw live a few weeks after hearing "Feel good hit for the summer" album for the first time. Then went on to The dessert sessions. I was obsessed with getting them all, for worrieing of missing something. Then came the mighty "kyuss", with thair heavy sound and blew me away again, as well as the rest of the family tree of those guys.
    My latest fav. with Josh Homme are the band with the misleading name "Eagles of Deathmetal". I can't quite dicribe what it is, but it sounds like some songs on some of the the Dessert sessions.

Stoner Rock = yay! :hyper:

8. I've always thought of Pink Floyd as the original stoner rock band, although they are so much more than that. Maybe it was just the era.
  9. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Black Sabbath = the original stoner rock band
  10. Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
  11. Black Sabbath = the original heavy metal band
  12. I dig the so called "stoner" rock (I also do not partake). Although, I've never heard Kyuss, I've heard lots of people talking about them, so I'll have to check them out. My personal new favorite "stoner rock" band would be Clutch. I just bought Blast Tyrant on a whim and I love it! I'd also consider Corrosion of Conformity's "Deliverance" album as "stoner rock" as well as some Black Sabbath.
  13. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Fu Manchu is a great stoner rock band. I also enjoy Monster Magnet (I may be a terrible MM fan, but I think I like Powertrip the best).
  14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Bummer has to be one of their best songs... I bought Spine of God a while back, almost TOO stoner for me. ;) The production is a tad rough in comparision to other Monster Magnet, but very groovy if I can use that term.

Fu Manchu kinda bothers me, I own California Crossing, the singer kinda talk sings, it gives every song a similar vibe.

The only Kyuss album I own is And the circus leaves town, which I'm told is their worst, and I love it. So I'll be buying more.

Though this is crossing over to "Doom Metal" (the heavier brother of Stoner Rock), Sabbath fans should check out Cathedral.
  15. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Or Crowbar. Good sludge rock band (like stoner rock or doom rock, but even more irritatingly slow!)
  16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    (Sludge) Eyehategod borders on ridiculous... but with a name like that, you kinda have to. ;)
  17. Head Creep

Head Creep

Nov 6, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I bought Kyuss' Blues for the Red Sun and fell in love with it. It's caught up with Metallica's Master of Puppets as the most listened-to album in my collection. And Queens of the Stone Age's Rated R is definately great as well, listened to it twice a day for about a week straight. But outside of those 2 and Black Sabbath, I haven't listened to any other "stoner" bands.

Superjoint Ritual is a thrash metal band full of stoners, so does that count as stoner rock?
  18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Maybe the stoner fans can help me on this. I was in the photo lab, and this guy was playing some stoner rock that was totally killer, and it seemed almost every track started out with some audio blurb about pot from the news or whatever. How much more stoner can you get. Really thick heavy grooves... don't know who it was though.

With a message that obvious, could it have been Bongzilla?
  19. Mat,
    I strongly recommend getting "Welcome to Sky Valley" as your next Kyuss album. IMO this was Kyuss's best line up with Brant Bjork on drums and Scot Reeder on bass. The album will BLOW YOUR MIND..with or without the greens :p
  20. hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    My favorite stoner/doom band:

The Electric Wizard