Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone here actually like techno??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by szvonek, Jan 2, 2004.

1. What? I couldn't read the question cuz my glow stick broke and oozed on my monitor...

11 vote(s)
    9.0%
  2. Techno's pretty cool, but I'm not a rave freak.

33 vote(s)
    27.0%
  3. I can take it in small doses at certain times and places.

39 vote(s)
    32.0%
  4. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD MAKE THE INCESSANT BEAT STOP!!

39 vote(s)
    32.0%
  1. This thread was inspired by the bass lines that make you sick thread. I'm curious to see how many (if anyone) likes techno music, aka rave music, aka ump ts ump ts music.

I mean it always seems to be the same rhythm, so the theory is that techno would be especially despised on this board.

Personally I can't stand it. Although I will say if it's a remix of a song I like it's bearable and almost enjoyable just because it's a new take on a song I like. But even then I can't usually listen to the whole song cuz they seem to go on forever.

2. I'm mostly into house, drum and bass and breakbeats....a little garage tech here and there is not bad either.

Everyone should listen to squarepusher, especially those who think techno is just a straight beat. I've heard some amazingly psychedelic music at raves. Those of you who love the abstract should listen to Venetian Snares.

and it's also meant to be danced to, just like the grateful dead, that's why they're long.

3. kegbarnacle

kegbarnacle

Nov 18, 2003
    Phoenix
    I think it works for clubs or parties, but I don't see it as music. More of a psuedo-music. The parameters for each genre are so specifically defined that there's not much room for creativity. It's either samples - so your standing on the shoulders of the people who made music, or its computer generated digital sounds that are precise down to specific frequencies. In the latter instance you've choked off the creativity of humanity, which is integral to the basic definition of music, or art in general.

Check out this flash cartoon...
    http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail45.html

It's an online cartoon with a bunch of characters. This particular flash cartoon would be considered an episode i suppose. It's from his emails section.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I like some techno. Oakenfold.. Rob Dougan etc. I dont really like the "dance/rave" techno, but more the more musical stuff.

5. I have heard some techno songs with outstanding beats and effects, but for the most part, after 10 minutes of techno, it all sounds the same.

6. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    The problem here is that you're lumping together several genres and judging them as one. I'm sure you wouldn't say Portishead and Squarepusher are similar at all, but they're both subgenres of electronica. This thread is the equivalent of me saying, "I heard some Incubus yesterday and I don't like it. Funk music sucks." You heard some bad house music. Don't assume that all electronica is like that.

7. kegbarnacle

kegbarnacle

Nov 18, 2003
    Phoenix

I'm judging each genre of electronica against the other songs within that genre. House against house, jungle against jungle. As a rule with techno, you can determine if you like the entire genre by listening to one song because each genre is very narrowly defined. If you have a song with a 7/4 beat, it automatically cannot possibly be house. However, it could be virtually any other type of non-club music. To say "I heard some Incubus yesterday and I don't like it. Funk music sucks." is comparing apples and oranges and thus only further illustrates my point. Whatever funk qualities Incubus has sound nothing remotely close to Parliment. Funk as a style has general guidelines but allows for creativity and difference between songs played in that style. You may like Incubus but dislike Parliment. If you dislike Roger Sanchez, you probably won't like Bad Boy Bill. Granted, exceptions do exist, but most of the exceptions are simply music acts that incorporate electronic sounds, and do not conform to the rules that define an electronic genre. Portishead is a perfect example. I'm looking not at every act that uses synthesizers and computers but specificly at techno types of music - house, drum 'n bass, etc.

8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Yep - like a lot of it and have played a lot of it.

It certainly causes one to think differently about the bass i support of the synthesist(s). Timing and tone are everything with the bass stabs that the music calls for.

Classical composers, such as Phillip Glass and John Cage, were incorporating the modern sounds inherent in this music long before the first rave ever took place.

9. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    I love techno. A while ago I got my hands on a copy of Fruity Loops, and I never looked back. I actually think it helped me bass wise also, made me want to play better and faster, more clean. And oh yeah...Techno takes alot of work to put together, you just dont press a couple of buttons.

10. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I like what I've heard from Squarepusher. Is that Techno? I don't follow the labels these days :)

11. Only Radiohead and the Fight Club soundtrack.

That should be a poll option by the way.

Oh, frooty loops rule too! I use to be so good at it, if anyone wants to hear some of my stuff just IM me via AIM.

12. Im not really into the monotonous rave music stuff I've heard but I do like some electronic music. I know I cant stand the stuff on the radio(I've gotta get through this, I've gotta get through this, I've gotta...).I dont know the differences between the subgenres (house, trance, etc) but I like Daft Punk, Chemical Bros, Crystal Method, stuff like that. I havent actually heard a whole lot of different stuff though.

13. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Some techno is cool, but I'm not a huge fan of the genre. I've been to a few raves, good music for that scene.

Gotta agree with the fruityloops thing. I write my own drum beats and jam away. :cool:

14. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Music is music, who cares what genre it falls under, if you like the sound, don't be afraid to say you like it.

I'm not a big fan of house music per se, but I LOVE electronic music.

The way I differentiate the two, is that house music,trance, dance...etc. that's all filler music to get people to dance. Would I sit around listening to it analyzing it and determining it's merits as music, next to other forms of music?

no. why? that's a waste of time.

Now, put some aphex twin on, not necessarily danceable, but still undeniably electronic, and there is a lot more there to think about. Richard D. james is just as much as a musician as you or I am.

Even older stuff like Kraftwerk, are they not musicians? just because they use keyboards, their creativity is instantly stifled? that's absurd, how could you say that. Creativity knows no bounds, wherever and however it can manifest itself, it will.

So often people just say "because they aren't playing instruments, it's not music and therefore I don't like it" but that's very close minded, there are millions of ways to express yourself, or to please others, or to fulfill your desire to create, and no way is any less valid as any other way.

if it doesn't sound good to you, cool then don't listen to it, but I think it's unfair to you, and to the music, if you don't listen to it just because you didn't like one example of it.

15. I hate it..
    I can stand that "chill out" stuff and kind of like jungle and drum n base.. also bands like aphex twin.. But I definately hate techno, dance, house, and psycho.. I don't recognize that stuff a s music.

16. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    well said :)

I saw aphex twin last week and it was a-mazing. mind blowing in fact.

Also, before you dismiss techno, try going to a club and listening to really good techno. I wasn't a fan of it at all before i started going to clubs and raves regularly where they play very good, high quality hard house techno.

{{{{i don't want to advocate drugs useage, but if you go to clubs and still don't 'get' techno, try taking e. i guarantee that all will become clear....}}}}

17. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    One thing I've noticed about a lot of jungle acts, squarepusher and such.

is that, the melodies and rhythm swap places. simplistic melody lines, with complex and dynamic drum tracks, I like that.

oh yeah, for those that don't know Squarepusher, is a bassist, his name is tom jenkinson, and he is unbelievable(on bass)

He also plays guitar, drums and keys as well as does all the drum programming and sampling on his albums.

Aphex twin, he's even more gnarly, in some respects, he builds most of his equipment, effects and stuff, which is pretty awesome.

both guys put on a great live show too.

Another great techno band, is add n to (x)

3 people, armed with an array of vintage synths backed by live drums. Very excellentness.

18. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    I really like techno a lot, but only fast beats. Slow beats just get on my nerves.

19. I don't deny it's music, really any sound could be considered a form of music. And I'm sure there are good techno bands out there. But from the stuff I've heard it's so repetitive. Usually I like at least a few songs in a genre, but I haven't really heard anything I like when it comes to house dance music. And I'm not really talking about electronic music, my pea brain categorizes that in a different genre.

It's all opinions anyway I suppose. But any music that requires drugs in order for you to 'truly appreciate' it can't be all that good to begin with IMO. Must be the same reason I don't get into hippie jam bands...:rolleyes:

Then again people tend to get into our music more when they're drunk...:p

20. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I've got a disc by Orbital called "Insides". It is one of my favorite discs musically.

I play it alot because it is so life like, and very interesting. Chicks seem to hate it. But they hate Satriani too. So it goes...