Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone here add a tweeter to their combo amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stinsok, Feb 7, 2003.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    How did it turn out?

2. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    When I first got my WM12 in '94, I liked the 'airiness' that the little LeSon piezo gave. My 410s have Foster horns so I was covered there. I put the LeSon TLC-1s in my 115 cabs with a capacitor, resistor and switch. To me, it was an cheap improvement and one I can take or leave (switch).

Kim

3. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I had seen pieze tweeters and various crossovers at Radio Shack, and for a small investment I could add one to my Behringer amp. I was wondering if you can put a volume pot along with it to get the desired balance?

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Do it! I've always bought Motorolla (now called CTS) from Jaycar (Australian equivalent Radio Shack). Some of them don't even need crossovers but they can get expensive. Once you get into that price range, you should also consider brands like P.Audio (as used by Epfani).

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    oh I nearly forgot, Jaycar also sell faders that you can connect to the horn and use to turn it down (attenuation only). I started off using these faders but seemed to have em turn up full all the time. I say try it without the attenuator first and decide later.

6. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Having used Motorola (CTS) extensively in the past, I have found them to be somewhat 'harsh' sounding. They work, are rugged and affordable. I had never heard of LeSon until I had gotten my WM12. I was sufficiently impressed with the 'sweetness' of its sound to contact the company in Brazil, who turned me on to the US distributor. They didn't sell direct, so I was told about Martin Sound (great source). They have the TLC-1 (as used in SWRs, Ampegs, etc) for under $10. Its sound is so uncharacteristic of a piezo, that you are tempted to look at it again and again. Great little inexpensive driver that really adds to a bass rig.
    If you need to control volume, other than simply on and off, just wire in an L-pad (available at any electronics store, including Rat Shack)

Kim

7. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I added a tweeter (3800 to 20,00 hz) to my Behringer. No real difference to speak of except when using the cd/tape inputs. It makes practicing alot better.