Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone here also use an Electric Upright Bass???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Feb 23, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Hey all,

I wanted to know how many electric guys were using EUB's. but, i was also wondering, was it hard to make the transition from electric to electric upright?

Looking around the net, i've been interested in a few: NS CR4M, but many say its pretty much a funky toothpick that sounds merely like an electric bass flipped upright. Next to zero hollow feel. The Azola Scarab/Bugbass II seems mad cool with its hollowbody, and that Penn Jilette of Penn & Teller uses one! hehe... but the lead time for one is 12 weeks! Eminence makes a cool looking hollowbody, but i dont many who play them. anyone have any experiences with these???

2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    "...a funky toothpick that sounds merely like an electric bass flipped upright." :eek:

(cough cough cough horsehockey cough cough cough)

I'm using a CR5M myself, and it sounds killer in many applications, including jazz and latin gigs (if it's good enough for the son of Tito Puente, it's good enough. Period.). It can go from upright to baby bass to sounding like the biggest electric fretless bass guitar ever. The look isn't very "traditional", but I kind of like it myself. Plays like a dream too.

Making the adjustment from electric fretless to the NS EUB was a breeze. I'd never played upright at all, and within 5 days I was gigging on the CR5M. It's a matter of getting used to note spacing, spend some time with it, and you'll get it down.

The Bugbass II is great, Steve & Jill make an amazing instrument. If you're used to a "traditional" feel, I highly recommend it. I'd say the same about the Eminence, it's more for people who are coming from upright and looking for a substitute for that feel and sound. I've played both and really appreciated them, although personally the NS was the one that felt right to me.

If you have any questions about any of them, feel free to PM or e-mail me.

3. geoffzilla

geoffzilla

Oct 30, 2001
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification
    I agree with Gard on the Azola feel. As someone who was used to a traditional upright bass, the azola was the choice. it had the feel, sound and traditional "landmarks" that I was familiar with. It's a tough call. I think for someone in your shoes, it boils down to how much time you're willing to devote to a new instrument. If it's just an extension of your electric, then I'd go the same route gard did.

4. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    Anyone tried the Yamaha Silent URB ? I'm thinking about getting another URB (I had a traditional URB until a couple of years ago, I loved playing it but hated carting it around)

I can get some major discount on the Yamaha but if the NS 4 sounds more like a trad urb then I'd rather pay more for the right sound.

Thanks

(whats this URB in the Guitar forums... what next ?guitars in the URB forum ?)

5. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The Yamaha silent bass is bulky, heavy and has poor sound. (That's why you're seeing the discount.) Yamaha really needs to go back to the drawing board with this one.

Neither the Yamaha nor the NS4 sound like a true upright, but the NS4 is highly portable and looks freakin' cool.

6. I'm in the market for one. I have to tell you, a local salsa bassist, Allan Johnston, has an Ampeg Baby Bass which sounds really good. I was at a gig of his a week ago, and I was floored by the tone he got from it - very percussive and clear. I asked Allan about the bass and he says it won't do for straight ahead jazz. After hearing it, I understand why that is. But for latin stuff...WOW!

7. geoffzilla

geoffzilla

Oct 30, 2001
    Nashville, TN
    I don't know how old the Baby Bass was that XavierG was checking out, but the newer ones are built by Steve Azola. If you're not sure what you're looking for, Azola's a great place to start. Good people who will point you in the right direction. They definitely seem to have a model to fit everyone's needs, but I'm sure they would be honest if their products weren't for you.

8. lowfreqguy

lowfreqguy

Oct 18, 2000
    I have a BSX T-5 with a low B string. Great bass and a good deal, too. I believe Dino will sell direct if there is no dealer in your area.

9. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I've never played it but the Conklin Mobile Electric Upright seems nice. $3400 for a 4 string i believe, $3600 for a 5. 34inch. scale-check em out. www.conklinguitars.com then it's under MEU or something. If i ever get more money than i can spend on just electrics & electric related gear i'd probably buy one of these. thats all

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    LowFreak,

i saw the BSX in the back of BP one issue, and admit, they looked freakin' cool. how's it play?? EUB or more trad feel?? anything you dont like??

11. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    Wow - thanks for that. NS4 it is then !

12. bassheavy

bassheavy banned

i have an ashbory... does that count?:D

13. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    X-man, Geoff's right, the Azola Baby Bass is much more flexible than the original Ampeg one. Still has "that" sound, but a few others as well. That was my second choice, but three things changed my direction, the "traditional" neck (I'm not a "real" upright bassist, don't like the whole concept of thumb position), the cost (although it's worth it), and delivery time (6 months? ouch!).

14. MtnGoat

MtnGoat

May 7, 2000
    MA/NH
    I have an Azola BugBass and, in my experience, the sound is not as good as a real upright, but sounds pretty good. I think in general that the EUBs are their own thing. If you want a true upright sound, buy an acoustic upright.
    Gard, I don't know how you were able to gig on the EUB 5 days after buying it--I had some serious endurance issues to overcome before playing more than 10-15 minutes at a time. Is the NS that easy to play??

15. geoffzilla

geoffzilla

Oct 30, 2001
    Nashville, TN
    MtnGoat,
    While I agree that EUB's are "their own animal" I have to say that the difference between the bugbass and the floating top bugbass were night and day for me. The floating top adds a lot of acoustic character Much closer to my ears.

16. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
  17. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Yes.

:D

(Damn thing sounds amazingly good too, I have fooled a few people [including a bassist or two] into thinking it was a "real" double bass or a baby bass)

18. I play a Carruthers SUB1 EUB. I use it for flying, really loud gigs and gigs where my DB would not practical. The best EUBs I've played have been the floating top Azolas. These basses have had the closest sound to a real DB out of all the ones I have tried. Stay away from the Yamaha. It is ok to use if you need something that doesn't make a sound for practicing. The price is higher, however than many EUBs that can be used for practice AND gigging. Yamaha was giving Silent Basses to some higher profile bassists here in Canada to try out. The ones I know stopped using it after a gig or two.

19. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Gard, i got 3 directors + 2 groups that think i know everything about bass & bass playing. :D it's nice to have people fooled. My ashbory is my EUB impersonator. thats all

20. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Cam -

You've only gotten a dozen or so people fooled? Heck, I got thousands fooled at this point! :eek: ;) (NYE 2 years in a row at EPCOT...)

And that Ashbory does sound pretty good for what it is. :)