Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

anyone here besides me play sitar?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by I.'.I.'.Nakoa, Jun 25, 2001.

1. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    any other sitar players here?

2. And now we have a George Harrison!

3. i think that's what john turner plays *rim shot*

4. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    heres a pic of it and my bass, its on my moms bed.

5. Funny you should ask, but no I don't. I do have a few questions about it though if you have answers.
    My DB teacher has been listening to Turkish music and we were talking about the Sitar.

I forgot to ask him but how is it tuned, what are the open notes of the strings? Don't you play a diferent type of scale on them i.e. it doesn't revolve around a major scale does it?

6. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    i have NO clue, i started this thread , cause i want some help. LOL

7. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I've had a sitar for about 12 years, but I don't know if I would call myself a "player". It is such a cool instrument to play, but my sitar is not very good, and tuning the 19 strings is a nightmare. I've studied Indian music over the years, and took a few lessons from an Indian musician, but I rarely play it anymore.

As I understand, there are three types of strings on a sitar: the melody strings, the drones, and the sympathetic strings. Most of the melody is played on one string, with the drone strings tuned to the raga you are playing. You almost never touch the sympathetic strings.

Gruffpuppy, I also have an oud, which is used in Turkish music. It is a short-necked fretless lute, but again I am cursed with a cheap POS instrument. The bridge pulled up and the back has a deep crack, but it is also fun to play.

8. I don't, but I'd like to!

9. The guitarist in one of my bands also plays the sitar, but I think it has something to do with the fact that he does way too much weed. :D

10. I d really like to learn. For soem reason im interested in these unique instruments. Speaking of which I saw an instrument that looked like a sitar except it was huge and had a really large,long neck. Do any of you guys know what im talking about? It looked really cool.

11. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    I don't play the sitar, but I once had a go of one. I was in a studio, when I noticed the sitar tucked away in the corner of the control room. I got talking to the producer, and although it was owned by a friend of his, he let me have a little mess with it.

Apparently, the majority of sitars in the world are fakes - there are only a handful of "real" ones, which are handed down from generation to generation in wealthy Indian families. Does anyone know if this is true?

12. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    thanks for all the replies. im not sure about that yaw, but maybe i can find out. you remember how many strings the one you played was?

monkey, can you tell me the tuning for the sitar?

13. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    It might have been a Tambura. It's the instrument that plays the drone in indian music.