1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone here dig Uni-Vibe (clones included) on bass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by markjazzbassist, Mar 31, 2009.

1. thanks man. sounds good. i'm thinking eventually i'm going to try and find a sweet sound mojo vibe. why not, eh?

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

well Brad emailed back and he's got some Luna ready... so I need to jump or step aside quickly. My problem is I think I'm going to try the Option 5 Destination Rotation Single instead :ninja:

http://www.option5-online.com/option5.html

3. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    I'm familiar with the Option5 due to all the positive reviews.
    I like the idea of the mic placement simulation for effect depth. Seems like they went all out on that one.

Do y'all know of anyone using a Luna on bass?

4. Well, you beat me to it... I was going to post that link to my page, too. :p

I will add that I find it has a hard time cutting through the mix in a full band setting. But it does sound great for solos and passages where only the drums and bass are playing, for example. And I would also say, from experience, that the same comment applies to the option5, too.

~ Charlie

5. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Of course I've tried several variations on the Uni-Vibe circuit, some faithful clones and some that used different methods to emulate that gooey phase tone. They all have their different characteristics, so I guess which one would be best for you depends on exactly what you're looking for, but I've found that Uni-Vibes are the kind of pedal you've got to try several of to really get a feel for what you're looking for in one. I'm still searching, but my Uni-Vibe search has been paused yet again to allow me some time to accumulate some other pedals I've been GASing for.

Like that Option 5 Destination Rotation Single... Just ordered one. Clips when I get it when I can do them. Pretty excited to try that thing out.

6. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Also I should mention for anyone looking for a Leslie sim... although they were originally marketed as a rotating speaker simulator, Uni-Vibes sound pretty much nothing like a rotating speaker. At all. Anything that you might expect from a rotating speaker or rotating speaker sim probably does not apply to a Uni-Vibe. If you're looking for a rotating speaker sim, short of a true dedicated leslie sim, you're much better off with a decent chorus. But if you're looking for a warm, gooey, and sometimes nasty phaser, a Uni-Vibe clone might be it for you. That's the "chorus" mode on the Uni-Vibe (which in case I haven't made it clear yet, is actually a phaser, and definitely not a true chorus; choruses were't around until many years after the Uni-Vibe). The vibrato mode does pitch vibrato, bending your pitch up and down, which can sort of simulate the doppler effect of a Leslie, but it does nothing else, not any amplitude modulation or ethereal sweep either like a leslie or the Uni-Vibe chorus. All of the classic recordings you've heard (a la Hendrix, Gilmour, Trower) of the Uni-Vibe utilize the "chorus" mode; I'm no expert but I've heard very few recordings that utilize a true vibrato effect... off the top of my head I can think of one Tom Petty song that did and another Motley Crue (yuck) song...

hennessybass likes this.
  7. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    The online reviews of the Micro Vibe were great so about a year ago I thought why not give it a shot .... It never left the board after that!

Very deep bass with a nice shimmer on top ... works best when "dimmed" slightly with the SAG control on my Pedal Power 2. The MV uses a light bulb and photocell as in the original by dropping the voltage slightly it gives it more of a watery wash ... great on slow tunes and for when I do B3 organ lines with low octave and fuzz!

MicroVibe.

:) ... Part of my must have live sound

blindrabbit likes this.
  8. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    +1

The Dr. Scientist actually has a pretty decent sounding rotating speaker simulation, but it is pretty far from a Uni-vibe tone.

I love the vibe tone on guitar, but on bass I really only like it for that pulsing, hyperventilating tone which I would never use enough to keep on a pedalboard.

10. benevan

benevan

May 2, 2002
    Memphis
    Uhhhh.....

11. I've used Phasers for 10years+, but recently discovered the Sweet SOund Mojo Vibe. Excellent pedal, and a great spacey tone that can still cut thru even if you set your bass like a reggae master would (no treble)

12. 76jazzbass

76jazzbass Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2008
    NJ
    My brother used one for guitar, sounds amazing but haven't tried on bass..... hmmmm.

13. @Kenny Allyn Thanks for that tip on the dimmed voltage, though I first read it as DIMED! :laugh:

@Jared Lash Which Dr. Scientist were you referring to, Cosmichorus (got one coming) or does the BitQuest (need to order) do it with its flanger mode?

I'm looking at eventually getting Black Cat's Vibe, the one below is a LTD run for Prymaxe (just the graphic, I think the guts are

[​IMG]

blindrabbit and Unemploid like this.
  14. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    The Reverberator has a rotating speaker mode.

15. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Well, what are you waiting for? Get on it! :D

76jazzbass likes this.
  16. gadgetgirl

gadgetgirl Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2005
    East Coast
    BearfootFx Mint Green Minivibe (slow speed) with bass sounds great.

17. yaksonator

yaksonator Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2011
    Branson, MO
    I used the orbital modulator on the vibe setting in addition to the tremolo setting, for a bass synth line my band wrote. I REALLY liked the sound a lot. Almost a pulsating warble. I havent used a real univibe but in certain contexts the vibe effect is cool!

18. 254 stringer

254 stringer Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Waco Texas
    Hopefully the OP found a vibe he liked in the time that has passed since thus thread started but since nobody else said it I'll throw out the danelectro chicken salad.

19. Ha! I literally just picked one of these up a week or so ago. Someone I know was selling it used so I thought what the hell.

Seriously impressed with it so far and it seems to work pretty well on bass but not sure how much I'd use it in a band setting. IMO you really need to be playing chords to get the best out of the effect so I'll probably just end up moving it on to my guitarist. Great fun all the same, and an effect you don't see used that often!