1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone here do monophasic / Ubersleep?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jazzbasser535, Dec 11, 2006.

1. jazzbasser535

jazzbasser535

Feb 25, 2006
    I've been reading about this sleep system recently and it seems very interesting. Basically, the idea is, instead of sleeping for a long time at night you take six 20-minute naps at 4-hour intervals throughout the day. Supposedly the first few days are horrible, but once you get used to it, it's better than normal sleep. Does anyone here do this or know anything more about it?
    Thanks

It's actally called "polyphasic" sleep. "Monophasic" sleep is "regular sleep."
    My mistake.

2. fish man

fish man

Nov 14, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    I take it you sleep alone! :bag:

I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't be able to stand being up for only 4 hours at a time. Whats the theory behind it though? More time to work your way up in the world without being slowed down by sleep?

3. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    too busy for that... plus, what would you do when everyone else was asleep and you were wide awake?

4. jsbass

jsbass

Sep 3, 2006
    WI
    I think it would be impossible to hold a job :/

5. Neb Maro

Neb Maro I don't think, but I still am.

Oct 20, 2006
    So. Cali
    That just doesn't sound like it would come to any good. 6 twenty minute cycles is only 2 hours and if you have to space the naps out every four hours? nap 4 nap 8 nap 12 nap 16 nap 20 nap 24. Two hours asleep for every twenty four awake...vs. 24 twent four hour period in which you spend 8 sleeping and 16 awake. That seems like a better deal to me.

6. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Banned

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    Your body and your heart repair themselves while you are sleeping, that is it's purpose. It is also the time when your brain sorts all it's various interesting bits into your dreams, which many MDs consider to be essential to sound mental health.

Not to mention that 20 minute naps won't even allow you to get close to a deep Beta heart rate, and you have no time with your weight off your poor feet either.

Sounds like a good way to have a bad back, a nervous breakdown, and a heart attack to me.

7. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I really don't question what comes naturally to me very often and sleep ain't broke so I'm not fixing it. But for you, give it a try if you can afford to be "horrible" in the beginning.

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Sounds doable for a busy few days... but I could never do that. I can't fall asleep in 20 minutes.

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    That sounds pretty fruity.

bc

10. Mole

Mole

Jul 7, 2005
    Yeah, that seems like a really bad idea.

11. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    It's probably better to sleep 20 minutes every 4 hours vs 1 two-hour nap at night if that's all you know you'll be able to get. But I'll take 8 hours of good rest vs 2. It's like bigfatbass said, your body repairs itself in its sleep. If you exercise at all you need your sleep to make gains and improve. And if you don't exercise, then you're already on the wrong track.

12. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    there's a seinfeld episode about this. Kramer tries it and goes nutz falling asleep all the time.

13. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    A lot of bright (but unusual and not necessarily 'sane') people have tried polyphasic sleep business: Buckminster Fuller and Kramer for example. However, common sense should suggest that only monophasic or biphasic sleep patterns are natural (sleeping all at once or sleeping in two shifts). Breaking up one's sleeping schedule into more than three blocks just doesn't sound right - and there isn't much beyond anecdotal evidence to suggest that it is.

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Yep. I remember that one.

BTW, this sleep pattern is also called Da Vinci Sleep. Sounds great, but I'm afraid to try it.

-Mike

15. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    If my body allowed me to do this, I'd love it. I would rather spend my day awake than asleep, but you know...you gotta do what you gotta do.

16. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    I think the worst part is that it takes me about 20 minutes just to fall asleep. =/

17. At nights I am not able to fall asleep for many many hours, so at one point I decided to try a similar method to 'Ubersleep'. Since I was usually able to fall asleep fairly quickly during day time naps, I decided to take cat naps at certain points throughout the day. Since I can do this in between classes, it proved to work pretty well. I would sleep for 30-45 minutes a time, and then get up. Every 4 hours I would try to do this, and it worked for a couple of weeks. Inevitably, I like my sleep. As said before, it is good for a sound body and mind. Even though I have dreams of no sleep at all since I could definitely be doing other things at night, it is just a fevered dream.

18. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Would you get enought REM sleep though?

19. Definitely not. Depending how long your 'naps' are, you may not hit REM sleep at all. And if you do cat naps, where you virtually fall asleep but are alert enough to wake yourself up, then you really won't even get past Stage II.

20. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    REM sleep takes a few hours before it even kicks in if I remember correctly, so you'd get nowhere near it.