1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone here ever have a bass come back to you?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jacochops, May 2, 2006.

1. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Bryan, TX
    Hey everyone,
    I am stoked! One of the (many) basses that I should never have sold is coming back to me!!! My Nordstrand singlecut 4 string with the horsechestnut top and pink ivory board popped up in the classified section here at TB, and I worked the transaction out this morning! (Thanks Horace...you rock!) That puppy was one of THE quickest basses I've ever owned, and had punch for days! The front pickup was pulled back close to the bridge pickup (like Tom Kennedy's Fodera). I suck at posting pics...someone here care to post it for me? It's on Nordstrand's site in the gallery section, second one from the bottom.

Who here has sold a bass that they regretted later, and bought it back?

2. mattpnolan

mattpnolan Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    this one?

allfront.

frontend0.

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I bought a sweet salmon colored Peavey Foundation that was missing a tone pot and knob. despite that, it sounded great and was a fine player. I swapped it for an Ibanez Rd505, but later realized what a gem that peavey was and got it back. I have since had the tone pot and knob installed and that bass is now a super sweet passive "J-bass" in my collection.

4. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    Great post!

Back in 1980, I bought a Ovation Magnum bass and used it regularly for gigs for a couple of years. One day, a "friend" of mine asked to borrow it for a recording session in Nashville. I said OK and never saw him OR my bass again. Great Friend...

in 2000 I happened to be parusing the 'bay and lo and behold...there it was!! I contacted the seller (not my "friend") and found out that he had bought it at an estate sale in the late 80s. It was in pristine condition. I bought it immediately and have had it ever since. Still one of the nicest sounding and playing basses in the world...

I have never seen this "friend" since...I am still waiting for the day when I run across him....:D

5. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I hope to someday own the natural/maple Skyline Glaub that I recently sold in favor of a 5 string. I have a feeling I will. :D

6. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

No, but I sure wish that my long lost Black '68 Ampeg AMB-1 Scroll Head would find it's way back to me!

By the way, congratulations on getting your beautiful bass back, enjoy!

George

7. i wish i could get my MIA Percision back. it sucks more cus i see it all the time since i sold it to a kid i know who happens to be in a pretty big band. he told me if he was ever going to let it go hed let me know but he doesnt have any plans of selling it anytime soon.:(

8. That's a great story (and a very cool bass). How did you identify the bass on eBay as the one you used to own?

9. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.

Had a old Smith CR5G, a 92 or 93 I think, sold it, bought it back and sold it again and still looking for it!
    Last I heard it was somewhere in Ohio.
    Flame top and back (and not a very good flame either!) and had some pretty good wear marks on it under the G string near the neck and above the pick-ups from my thumb.
    The control cavity was dated 1/08/92or93.

Man I miss that bass. I would pay a LOT to get it back!!

10. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder/Owner: Wing Instruments
    Yup... my Zon Vinny. It was out of my posession for about 6 months. I contacted the guy I sold it to, and he was just thinking about selling it. Bought it back at the same price I sold it.

11. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    Serial number.....I know it's a little weird, but I always keep the serial numbers of my junk in the safe deposit box....

12. Calif De Funk

Calif De Funk Guest

Dec 15, 2004
    Sweden
    I wish I could get my Fender Precision ยด57 Vint. Re. 1988 back!

13. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
  14. That's pretty cool. By 'estate' sale, do you mean a deceased estate or what?

15. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006
    Smart! yet another reason to keep track of your gear's SN's!

16. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006
  17. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    You know, I never asked the reason for the estate sale, but I DID ask the seller the name of the estate and it wasn't the guy that ripped me off....I think the bass changed hands a couple of times before it ended up in the sale.

18. adrian garcia

adrian garcia In Memoriam

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    i bought back this Fender American Deluxe 5 - i really like this bass so when it was offered to me , i jumped to get it. Bad part is it was shipped usps April 15 and it is May 2 and still no bass...:rollno:
    [​IMG]

now, THIS bass, I am going to get back asap , from our fine friend who returned Matt's lovely Nordie.
    This Nordstrand HAS to come back to me because it is family -
    co-designed by Carey and I it's an amazing bass that i was crazy to let go. Sometimes we do stupid things. This the original "AG" bass. It has my initials inlayed and my daughter's name on the pickup and truly one of the most, if not THE most beautiful piece of luthiery I have ever beheld.
    [​IMG]

19. Your 'friend' has a black belt in backstab. Either that, or maybe your bass was stolen off that friend of yours and he didn't have the guts to come back and apologise.

Either way, sounds like your bass may have had an adventure worthy of a Disney TV movie, with a happy ending to boot. They may even get Michael J Fox to do the voice of your talking bass.

20. It's not too far beyond possibility that the bass could still arrive late.

Wow that's very cool having your daughter's name on the pickup. You'd be insane to ever let this one go. This is probably going to be a famiy heirloom for generations to come.