Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

anyone here ever put a low B on their four string?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Zanshin, Nov 20, 2001.

1. Zanshin

Zanshin

May 1, 2000
    if it's ok, i might consider doing this. I used to have 5 string and i loved the low B, but hated the wider neck. now i want to add a low B on my four string so i have B, E, A , and D. Is this is a legit move?

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Some things I'd consider;

- Will the nut slot for the E take a B gauge?

- Will the saddle slot be able to hold the B in place?

- Will the B turn out super floppy because the scale was intended for an E??? For example, some 34" scale instruments have a fine B but those that do, that I know of, were designed as 5'ers.

3. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    you should do a search on this subject...we've talked about this in the past and several good points and tips have come up...

4. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    I have done this and had no problems. I did file the nut slot out to make it wider though. The bass is also a 35' scale so it turned out great.

5. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I gig primarily with my 5 string (Roscoe Beck) but once in a while I like to take my '75 Precision. As an experiment I tuned the P BEAD for a couple of months. It worked surprisingly well. I didn't change the nut because I didn't plan on keeping it BEAD. I changed back to traditional 4 string after two months. I wouldn't do it permanently but it does work. If you want the low down 5 string sound and you cant afforfd a five then its worth a try.
    As for losing the G string well...you just move up the neck on the D.

6. I'm going to move this thread to setup.