1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

anyone here ever put a low B on their four string?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Zanshin, Nov 20, 2001.

1. Zanshin

Zanshin

May 1, 2000
    if it's ok, i might consider doing this. I used to have 5 string and i loved the low B, but hated the wider neck. now i want to add a low B on my four string so i have B, E, A , and D. Is this is a legit move?

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Some things I'd consider;

- Will the nut slot for the E take a B gauge?

- Will the saddle slot be able to hold the B in place?

- Will the B turn out super floppy because the scale was intended for an E??? For example, some 34" scale instruments have a fine B but those that do, that I know of, were designed as 5'ers.

3. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    you should do a search on this subject...we've talked about this in the past and several good points and tips have come up...

4. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    I have done this and had no problems. I did file the nut slot out to make it wider though. The bass is also a 35' scale so it turned out great.

5. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I gig primarily with my 5 string (Roscoe Beck) but once in a while I like to take my '75 Precision. As an experiment I tuned the P BEAD for a couple of months. It worked surprisingly well. I didn't change the nut because I didn't plan on keeping it BEAD. I changed back to traditional 4 string after two months. I wouldn't do it permanently but it does work. If you want the low down 5 string sound and you cant afforfd a five then its worth a try.
    As for losing the G string well...you just move up the neck on the D.

6. I'm going to move this thread to setup.