1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone here ever work a lobster/fishing boat?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Scarlet Fire, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Scarlet Fire

Scarlet Fire

Mar 31, 2007
    New England
    I thought it would be kinda cool to work on a lobster boat this summer (I live in Maine, so there's no shortage of them here), but I have no idea what to expect, how hard it is to find a job on one, or what it pays. Can anyone lend a hand?

2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Go an enquire locally. You'll get an answer, rather than what we can speculate about here!

3. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    I've not done it but read that it's quite dangerous... be careful.

http://money.cnn.com/2003/10/13/pf/dangerousjobs/

http://www.justjobs.com/node/278

4. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    I used to work at a restaurant that had its own lobster boat dock, they ran four boats. This was in New Jersey.

The boats would be out for approx. 12-hour stretches, not sure how much of that time was spent travelling to and from the fields and how much was spent hauling pots and so on. The guys always came back looking knackered, so I assumed it was hard work.

I worked there for three years and they lost one fisherman in that time. He got tangled in the line and was pulled over the back of the boat with the pots, broke his legs on the way over and didn't have a knife on him to cut the line so he was dragged all the way to the bottom.

So: Get a super-serrated knife that can cut the line in one swipe, and make sure it's always within easy reach.

5. I have no idea how good of a job it would be as far as pay. I basically did it for several days just to help out and get a few crabs and lobsters. It's hard work, long hours but I enjoyed it.............in my teens. :)

6. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

I have no experience with lobster fishing. I do have experience with scallops though. When I was visiting my grandparents one summer I went out for a day with my grandfather on his scallop dragger. I got to try my hand at getting the dragger in the boat and emptying the scallops as well as shucking. It was a lot of hard work... a lot. The pay for that largely came down to how much work you did. I don't know if there was some basic rate, but most of the pay was based on how many scallops you shucked (buckets).

7. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Forest20Gump.

Forrest Gump, shrimp boat captain