Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone here from Philly? What's the jazz scene like?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by MikeBarber, Feb 18, 2005.

1. About a year and a half ago I moved to Columbia, Missouri from Hamilton, Ontario (yes, that's Canada... please don't hate me for my health care) to live with my wife (seemed a good idea at the time :p ) who is from Missouri and was going to University here. She just got accepted into the "International Conflict Resolution & Peace Studies" MA program at Arcadia University (in Glenside, PA... a suburb of Philadelphia).

I've never been to Philly. I here it has something of a jazz scene. What's it like? Will an avant-garde guy like me feel at home?

2. Yes, yes I do. Made me laugh pretty hard, especially considering I'm a Canuk. :smug:

Remind's me of Bob Jones University, or BJU for short. :D

:meh: That's a little depressing, but what I am used to. Hamilton has jazz every night of the week, but little that comes close to venturing outside the box... same here in Columbia (bare in mind, Columbia is a small University town).

woo-hoo :rolleyes: is this the kind of place that I can expect to here "Take the 'A' Train" no matter where I am?

3. :p I swear, if I hear that tune one more time...

Yeah, I do appreciate the quality of a performance... but I can only take so much. Great playing is great, but old hat is old hat.

I am curious to here more about The Tritone (which is also my most favourite of intervals) and the acts it puts on there. What can you tell me of the avant scene?

4. Been to the Ortlieb's jam a couple times when I was visiting family back in Philly (where I grew up). It's pretty much straight-ahead playing. I didn't find the people to be snobby but the playing was very demanding when I sat in. That would be a good thing, in my opinion. I believe Philly is like most cities in not having much of an avant-garde scene but there may be some outside players around looking for colleagues.

Arcadia used to be an all-women's school named Beaver College.

5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Tweren't Dave Crackhousekey doin an avant scene in Philly? What's up with the Painted Bride, the only time I played there was with an "out to lunch" bunch...

6. Ben Rose

Ben Rose

Jan 12, 2004
    Oakland
    **note: I haven't lived in Philly for 5 years***

One of the best things that I remember about Philly jam sessions is that they were led by instrumentalists instead of vocalists. That makes a world of difference in the tunes picked.

DZ, do you know if the jam session at Chris's is still led by an organ trio?

7. jbass24

jbass24

Feb 1, 2002
    Philly, NYC
    Check out the ars nova workshops (usually through the slought foundation) for avant-garde or free jazz in philly. Michael Formanek is playin this sunday. Although the playing is traditional in a sense, there are some guys doing some pretty interesting things (without going to far out) like Jimmy Bruno, Pat Martino, Tony Micelli, Mike Kennedy, and Chris Faar.

8. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    The Jimmy Bruno trio has become almost a house band for chris'. The crowd sucks, but jimmy and the gang are a blast to watch...for a while. I met my first 21 year old female jazz snob there...needless to say, we didn't get a long :meh:

Anyone find anything new lately in the Jazz scene?

9. Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    Argh...i'm going to see Marcus Miller and Stanley Clarke tonight in glenside.

10. Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    Pretty good show. Definately not a crowd full of musicians though :smug:

P.S. Where your ears burning at the show? Me and my buddy Bobby where talking up a storm about you and Ken Smith :D

11. Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    I know what you mean. Some of the people there were ridiculous. "TURN THE TOM TOMS UP!":rollno: :p

No we didn't see Ken, was he there too?

We were mostly talking about coordinating a trip up to the shop at some point. We were also talking about the differences in the models and which ones we really wanted to play(again).

12. Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    Damn, we figured it would've been near over by then. Where is the 5 spot anyway?

13. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Yes, I confess, I actually went to a Concert. Actually, I set-up Stanleys Bass just before the sound check. I was there from around 2pm. When Stanley pulled the Bass out of the trunk and took off the cover, the Bridge was way out of wack. He plays with such low action, I could barely pull on the string. Anyway, I centered the Bridge, rasied up the adjusters and got it playable. I even did a little duet with Stanley on Piano playing Stella but George came over and showed him some of the changes that he was playing wrong. No offence, but Geroge Duke plays better piano than Stanley..lol

I sat in the back left row 'V' for Marcus and then went back stage between shows. My son was doing a TV taping and was on his was back so I stood in the back waiting for him and he missed only a tune of so of Stanley but missed all of Marcus. They know each other well so no major loss there. I ended up leaving sometime around midnight after all was said and done.

Nothing like a modern Hendrix that plays the Double Bass.. lol

14. Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia

I knew there was a reason Stanley looked extra comfy on his basses:D :p

Bobby Ishmail was telling me a story before we got to the show about how you guys met at the old guitar show out in King of Prussia and he asked you if you worked for ken smith!:eek: I laughed about it for ten minutes...until i realized that i had no idea what you look like either. First thing i did when i got home was learn "Frankenstein" and google you. lol:p

15. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.

Did you get what you needed from Google? By the way, Stanley and I have a long long history together. When he got his first major Job with Horace Silver, I was the Bass player he was replacing. When he moved to NY from Philly, I was his 'go-to' guy. I knew the town and was able to hook him up when he needed something from repairs to Bows to Basses.

With my business as it is now, I try not to go into too much detail about my playing career. Until I retired from playing I could hardly sell a single Bass in NY to the main Pros. Things are way different now since I retired from playing. Working on Stanley's Bass and playing it at the sound check was priceless.

16. Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    Yup :D

Man, that's really interesting! It's cool to see how people are connected like that. Makes me wish i was around in those days.

17. Bobby King

Bobby King Supporting Member

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Hey, I'm originally from Philly (I've lived in Nashville, TN since 1991) but still have a lot of friends and family there and I visit often.

One old friend who's a great bassist is Steve Beskrone. Steve teaches at the University of the Arts and has worked with Ray Charles, Horace Silver, Pat Martino and others. Another great player/friend is Chico Huff, who plays with pianist Dave Posmontier and the Irish- fusion band Solis. Do any of you know Steve or Chico?

Solis has been produced by my old best friend John Anthony who coincidentally, lives in Glenside, right near the Keswick Theater and the former women's junior college, Beaver College;) . John co-owns Maja Audio in the Society Hill Towers complex.

There's always been great jazz in Philly. Anyone remember The Showboat Lounge (later The Bijou Cafe)? Trey's Lounge in Germantown?(where I sat, transfixed, directly in front of Charles Mingus for hours). The Aqua Lounge in West Philly? Geno's Empty Foxhole on the Penn Campus? (people like Sun Ra, Stanley Clarke, Gary Bartz and Reggie Lucas would play there).

You might not believe it, but Nashville has a decent jazz scene these days!

18. Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    Wow! That's awesome. I've wanted to record there with my band for the last 18 months almost. Seems like an awesome place to play. Sadly, my band is quite...how you say...lazy and unreliable:p

Is there anywhere to find Solis music? Sounds really cool :D

19. Bobby King

Bobby King Supporting Member

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Oops, I spelled that wrong, it's : Solas

Try this:

http://www.solasmusic.com/

20. Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    lol yea that made the search rather hard:p

They're playing pretty close to me in august. Hopefully i can catch them then. :D