Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone here go to Penn State U.?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by thrash_jazz, Jan 22, 2004.

1. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    What's it like? (Campus/town/etc.)

I really like the look of their graduate Acoustics program. I'd probably go with Distance Ed. for starters, if I decided to do it.

Any info much appreciated :)

2. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

My cousin took his graduate work in Chemical Engineering there, he flies around in a company Learjet now. No correlation. But he really knows his stuff.

There are a bunch of PSU guys here, don't ask them about football, though I have great admiration for Joe P's career.

3. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Yep, I'm a PSU guy and I've been living in State College since I was 11. It's not a bad place to be, the town population is about the same size as the student population (around 40,000 each give or take) so it's a bit crowded sometimes. I suppose the campus is just like any other college town...with childish protests for anything...don't even think about bringing a car unless you set aside a decent stash for parking. I could go on and on about things that annoy me, but in general, Penn State is about as good as it gets as far as big universities in small towns go.

4. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I took a visit to Penn State about a month or so ago, and didn't think it was the right school for me. (school size, pricing, location, ect.) I was very impressed with Lock Haven, so I think that's going to be the school for me. (I can attend Lock Haven Clearfield for my first two years, which is about a 25 minute drive, then transfer to main campus to finish my major)

State College is a very nice town. I use to work there as an IT tech. It's very culturally diverse. (I guess that's because it's a college town :p ) There's a lot of yuppies running around, but I guess that's to be expected from a wealthy town. The music scene is much more political than, say, Altoona. It has a great club called the Crowbar which features some of the bigger regional acts and some of the smaller national acts. I think you would really enjoy it there. Beware though, 5 miles out of town and you'll be in hickland.

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I went there in the early 90's, does that count? My cousin is currently enrolled in the music program. She LOVES it. We are all from Altoona. I realy miss it back there, and hope to return soon to be an IT guy. Poison said it well.."you don't know what you got, till it's gone".

Oh yeah...as Thor said, DON'T ask about football. :D

-Mike

6. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Actually, that was Cinderella. :D

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Oh yeah! Thanks for the correction. Poison were the "every rose has it's thorn" guys. Let's see....Cinderella also did Gypsy Road, and another song about calling on the phone and no on answering. I can't remember the name though.

-Mike

8. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I believe that's Nobody's Fool. Makes me want to break out my Cinderella cd. Nothing like good ole "We wish we were AC/DC but we're not" rock music. :D (just like Jackyl, Rhinobucket, Krokus, ect.)

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Rhinobucket!! I have that CD. "Beat to Death Like A Dog"......man, I remember that song. I thought it was a new AC/DC song. Cool song though. Check out their website, they reformed with a dude from KIX, another classic 80's band.

BTW...go ahead and bust out your Cinderella CD. I just got done listening to my Winger CD. Madalaine, and Seventeen.....classics. :)

-Mike

10. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Ah, yes, I remember Kix. They did that "Don't Close Your Eyes" tune. I remember I had an English/Creative Writing teacher in high school that told us a story about how he worked security when he was younger and got hit in the head with a beer bottle by the lead singer of Kix while working a show. Winger was cool. They are the epitome of everything that was wrong with 80's hair metal, but I thought they were a good Pop Rock band. Maybe if I were a teen in the 80's I would have thought differently though. :D It seems like you were either into hair metal like Poison/Winger/Warrant or Thrash Metal like Metallica/Exodus/Megadeth.

11. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Thanks guys. :)

What's the population of State College, just out of curiosity?

12. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Click Me

Here's some local demographics, most of the stuff is county info, though. State College is about 35-40,000. Notice the median rent. For any other town this size, it would probably be significantly lower...

13. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Yeah, the housing cost is fairly steep in State College. Port Matilda or Milesburg might be a bit cheaper. :confused: You won't be right in town, but driving 20 minutes to class to save on rent would be better than paying out the wazoo just to walk there.

14. I go to PSU.

Population fluctuates big time from school year to summer. It's a damn ghost town in summer.

15. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    That's the best time to be in town--damn college kids!

16. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I hate how they walk in front of your car while you're driving down the street. :D

17. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

Hehe.

I like doing that.

"I *DARE* you to run over me" :D

18. My feelings on this issue depend on which side I'm on :)

When I'm walking to class, I have the mindset that all drivers can go to hell because I have somewhere to be, and State College is often rainy/snowy/cold...anything but pleasant.

When I'm driving however, pedestrians better not walk in the middle of the street. I have somewhere to be, and driving on campus is an absolute nightmare! :)