1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone here have a Scion tC, xD or Honda Fit? Tell me about them.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by RandomEvent, Mar 11, 2008.

1. RandomEvent

RandomEvent

Nov 10, 2007
    I've had to do all of this stuff with my car recently, and I'm pretty sick of it now honestly. I just might actually go and get a new car tomorrow and trade my old clunker in for whatever I can get. I had asked earlier this year about Volkswagens, but I hear their service is very bad. I know two people with Scions, and they do nothing but rave about their warranties.

I was looking around earlier today, and the new Scion xD looked pretty interesting to me, and I can afford it. Basically, if you have a Scion, tell me if it's good or bad. I just want a decent looking car that I can put my stereo system into and has decent gas mileage that won't break the bank.

EDIT: I am now definitely considering a Honda FIT. I like the way the car looks, and the Sport trim model doesn't break the bank.

EDIT 2: Seems the Scion tC is what I want, even if it costs a bit more. Pretty much everything I'm looking for. I'm willing to pay an extra couple of grand for a bigger car with an actual armrest, proper gauges, etc.

2. steve21

steve21 Banned

I'd look into the Honda Element as well. From what I've read here, a bit roomier inside than the Scion, which is important for transporting gear.

3. RandomEvent

RandomEvent

Nov 10, 2007
    Awesome, I'll check that out. I'm a bit worried about the price though. If I got an xD, I know I can afford to impulse buy, so to speak. I know I want a car ASAP, and if I end up going to the Toyota dealer tomorrow and I love the way the Scion xD drives, then I'm taking it home with me.

I'm going to check out the Honda Element right now.

EDIT: The Element is too much for me right now. I could wait a bit to build up more funds and then get one, but I want a new car pretty soon. I don't really want to have to replace my brakes, exhaust, etc. My car has almost 100K, so it's getting up there. I think I'm also sure I want a Scion because I've heard nothing but good things. Affordable, sporty packages.

4. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I have two friends with Scions. They love them and I love riding in them. One of them has mentioned more than once that he'll be getting another the next time he needs another car. Both are gigging musicians (guitarist & bassist) if that means anything to you.

5. Trevor.A

Trevor.A

Jan 2, 2005
    Lubbock, TX
    A friend of mine had an element while her car was in the shop. It may have a lot of room, but it was a horrible car. I hated every second spent in that thing.

A couple friends of mine have Scions, and they love them. I don't know personally because I've never rode with them, but they seem to be good cars.

6. steve21

steve21 Banned

Definitely understandable, I guess. Maybe check your Honda dealership for a Certified preowned and if they'd take in your current car as a trade-in to knock out at least another one or two thousand?

Either way, those Scions are pretty cool, and if you dig it... congrats. I like how the white ones look.

7. Illbay

Illbay

Jan 15, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Actually, I AM a Scion.

Gotta say, it's not all it's cracked up to be. :atoz:

8. RandomEvent

RandomEvent

Nov 10, 2007
    I'm actually debating on the xB now. It's got a newer engine that's 2.4 L, like the tC. The old one was pretty bad at acceleration (friend has one), but I'm not sure if I want to sacrifice the gas mileage. I'll drive both tomorrow and tell you guys how it goes.

9. rfclef

rfclef

Jan 19, 2007
    Woodburn, Oregon
    I have an 05 xA, and love it. great mileage, and a surprising amount of room. I me, my 2 kids, our baggage, 2 laptop bags, Ashdown EB 180-15" combo, and 2 basses to Texas last summer... ('course, back when I had my grand Caravan, I'da taken my 10" Telescope and my tuba, but still, not bad...)

10. RandomEvent

RandomEvent

Nov 10, 2007
    I'm wondering if I can get a warranty if I go the used route. Can anyone chime in on that?

11. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    A good friend of mine has a tC and loves it. I've ridden in it a few times and the car seems top notch.

12. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I just bought a car, and the FIT and Scions were among my top contenders initially.

The FIT has possibly the best overall ratings ever given to any car on Consumer Reports. The Scions, not so much. However I know a lot of people driving Scions who like them pretty well. The bad news about the FIT is Honda has set a limit on the number of them available for sale in the US, which means they have a waiting list and the dealers will not cut you any kind of deal. In fact every one I've seen, the dealers added on a ridiculous amount of upcharge extras, such as rear-bumper grip tape for $130 upcharge, etc., raising the actual selling price about a grand over the basic advertised price. No, they will not remove the "extras" or throw them in for free- yes, I asked several dealers to do that and they all said no. The other one downside to the FIT is it has weak acceleration. I test-drove a couple of them, and they handled nicely once they got up to speed, but were sluggish getting there.

The Scions were about the same in terms of acceleration and handling, but the poor Consumer Reports marks made me turn away from them. I guess on a tighter budget I would not be so picky, but reliability is important to me. Again though, nobody I know who has one has any complaints that I know of.

The other contender that popped up was the Mazda3. Very good marks from Consumer Reports, and better acceleration than the FIT. I test-drove three different ones and was pretty well satisfied (maybe not thrilled but...) I was all set to buy one but for some reason all I could find was an interior/exterior color combo that I hated, and for some reason the used price was too close to the new price. There were like seven of the same color combo on the various used lots in my area, all former rentals, all with the same asking price. :atoz:

I also tried a Honda Element and hated it in every way, I could not wait to be done with that test drive. And the CR-V had surprisingly poor handling, although it was good in many other ways.

Eventually I ended up going way over budget and springing for an 07 Toyota Rav4. Man, it's a nice car, with tons of cargo room and really fantastic acceleration and handling. It's bigger than I initially wanted, and yes- more expensive, but damn it's solid. And it got fantastic Consumer Reports ratings.

Had I not done that, I would have gone with the Mazda3 if I could ever find the right one.

13. I have owned a Scion XB for two years now and have nothing but positive comments.,,, I average 40 MPG.:eek:....no issues .. I am 6'1" 200 lbs and have lots of head room and leg room without having.to adjust the seats...with the back seats down..A SWR Super Redhead and 3 Basses(LS) can easily fit....the Price range is more comfortable than some others..I give them a thumbs up!! and plan to get another when its time.........:)

14. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    The old XB was awesome- the new one - ehh
    :meh:

15. Yes. Look at the "certified preowned" at the dealerships. They'll cost a bit more than a comparable used car elsewhere, but they will come with a warranty. A few years back I bought a certified used Honda with 55K miles and the included warranty went to 100K miles.

Mike

16. jimb213

jimb213

Nov 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I got an '07 VW GTI late last year, and I freakin' love it. It strikes just about the perfect balance of performance, gas mileage, and cargo space. It's pretty darn fast and handles amazingly well, and I can fit all my gear with room to spare in the back.

A good friend of mine just got a Mazda3, and it's a really, really nice car, too. It's definitely nicer on the inside and has more cargo space than mine, but mine's more fun to drive, and I think they get pretty comparable gas mileage. The Mazda3 is a very nice car, is very popular, and holds its resale value well (as bongomania discovered...).

If you're looking at a new tC (that's the sporty coupe, right?), I would look for a used mazda3 in the same price range. You'll get much more bang for your buck, a better car, and a lot more space for your gear.

17. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I have a 06 Xa that i bought new one of the last off the line. I love this "lil" car. Im 6' 1" 250 and i fit fine with plenty of room. I have a family of 4 wife, 3 yr old daughter and big stepson 15 we all fit fine .The car fools you until you get in it much roomier than it appears.

I have put in my 2 basses, a 4x10 cab a 2x10 combo gigbag cooler ,bass stand ,clothes with no problems. The whole back folds down so its easy. Its not a fast car but i have no problems and to tell the truth since buying it i have been pulled over 2x for speeding but warned in this car when i never was before in my Jeep. I drive faster in it cuz its a blast to drive handles like a go cart and holds the road really well. In heavy snow its awsome belive me Ohio had alot this year and i plow right thru it. Gas mileage is awsome too.

I was a 4x4 owner for years and this is the smallest car i have ever owned i highly recommend it and as i said i love mine plus its Toyota with full toyota coverage....cool sound system too.

18. jsbass

jsbass

Sep 3, 2006
    WI
    That square boxy lookin' piece of crap?

19. Here I am again, in defense of the Element! :eek:

I've been driving mine since October of '04, by far the best vehicle I've ever driven in any way. Comfortable, well-laid out, rides nicely (not like a car though), and has a stupid amount of room in it (I'll put your Scion in my E).

It is also a Honda, therefore, bulletproof.

I'd look into a "Certified Used" one. My last Honda ('92 Civic) was still kickin' @$$ at 300,000 miles when I gave it to my niece. Based on what I'm experiencing with my E, I expect the same from it.

20. RandomEvent

RandomEvent

Nov 10, 2007
    I ended up getting a new Scion xB! I LOVE this car. I got used to the dash really easy. Now I gotta sell some stuff so that I can pay of my other debt...