Anyone here hip to Xotic basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by paulrider, Oct 10, 2011.

1. paulrider

paulrider

Mar 4, 2011
    A good buddy of mine is an endorser for these basses and he loves them. He does a ton of Jazz and Broadway show work in NY. Here's a Youtube vid that he did:
    Steve Millhouse with Xotic Bass XJ-1T 4-string & 5-string - YouTube. IF you really want to hear a bass, you should hear his upright. He bought it from Rufus Reid about 9 years ago and it's the bass that Rufus used on all of the Dexter Gordon and Jack DeJohnette Special Edition albums back in the 80s. I won't tell you what it cost, but it was more than 99% of your cars. What I can't imagine is how good the bass sounded that allowed Rufus to sell it. I guess the story was that he had a wealthy student who could no longer play bass, so Rufus bought this even more insane bass, but Steve's upright will make a room shake when he hits the low E with no amp! I LOVE hearing great upright players. It's such a great sounding Ax, expecially when you find a good old one!:bassist:

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Ooooook.

3. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Xotic basses are kool.

Steve is kool.

And

Rufus Reid is kool as well.

4. Bass4LifeRS

Bass4LifeRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    Cool blog :)

5. kuma9

kuma9 Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Philadelphia Pa
    Here's mine at work........

IMG_0293.jpg

6. paulrider

paulrider

Mar 4, 2011
    Man,
    That is a GORGEOUS instrument!! :hyper:

7. paulrider

paulrider

Mar 4, 2011
    I agree on both fronts. Steve and I were in many groups together. Like I said, if you're in NY and have a chance to hear him play upright, run, don't walk. Rufus is an all time giant. I loved his playing on those DeJohnette Special Edition things. That was my favorite band of Jack's. David Murray and Arthur Blythe on Saxes just killed.