Anyone here hip to Xotic basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by paulrider, Oct 10, 2011.

1. paulrider

paulrider

Mar 4, 2011
    A good buddy of mine is an endorser for these basses and he loves them. He does a ton of Jazz and Broadway show work in NY. Here's a Youtube vid that he did:
    Steve Millhouse with Xotic Bass XJ-1T 4-string & 5-string - YouTube. IF you really want to hear a bass, you should hear his upright. He bought it from Rufus Reid about 9 years ago and it's the bass that Rufus used on all of the Dexter Gordon and Jack DeJohnette Special Edition albums back in the 80s. I won't tell you what it cost, but it was more than 99% of your cars. What I can't imagine is how good the bass sounded that allowed Rufus to sell it. I guess the story was that he had a wealthy student who could no longer play bass, so Rufus bought this even more insane bass, but Steve's upright will make a room shake when he hits the low E with no amp! I LOVE hearing great upright players. It's such a great sounding Ax, expecially when you find a good old one!:bassist:

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Ooooook.

3. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Xotic basses are kool.

Steve is kool.

And

Rufus Reid is kool as well.

4. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    Cool blog :)

5. kuma9

kuma9 Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Philadelphia Pa
    Here's mine at work........

IMG_0293.jpg

6. paulrider

paulrider

Mar 4, 2011
    Man,
    That is a GORGEOUS instrument!! :hyper:

7. paulrider

paulrider

Mar 4, 2011
    I agree on both fronts. Steve and I were in many groups together. Like I said, if you're in NY and have a chance to hear him play upright, run, don't walk. Rufus is an all time giant. I loved his playing on those DeJohnette Special Edition things. That was my favorite band of Jack's. David Murray and Arthur Blythe on Saxes just killed.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021