Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone here into Sufjan Stevens?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Just curious. There's not much in the way of fancy fretwork (bass-wise, anyway) on his recordings, but anyone who appreciates good arranging would love his stuff. Let's not even get into how good of a melodist and lyricist he is, either.

2. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    who the heck are you? And what have you done with smuggy's account???

Welcome back.

Chris A.:rolleyes: :bassist:

3. boris

boris

Dec 15, 2005
    Sufjan has taken over my life. Amazing.I can't wait to see how far he gets into his "fifty albums for the fifty states" idea before he gives up. Anyway, thats awesome to see some other people on TB into Sufjan Stevens.

4. I don't think he'll ever be able to do California. If he did, it would be a triple-album with each disc at least 60 minutes long.

If SS is smart, he'll combine upper New England into one album. I don't think there's an awful lot to say about Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont on their own, except maybe as 25-minute EPs.

5. Eli M.

Eli M. Life's like a movie, write your own ending

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    I heard he might do something like that, combining some states and making EPs for smaller states.

6. On the other hand, North Dakota deserves a double-album-length tribute to Lawrence Welk.

:smug: :smug: :smug:

7. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I was really impressed when I heard the "Illinoise" CD at work last week. Great songs, cool sounds, and interesting arrangements.

8. what? who's he, that's a weird name

9. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I think he's incredible, but I am biased as I am from Illinois.

10. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I'm trying to get into them (edit: I mean him), but it hasn't sunk in yet.

I think the song titles are horrible. I know that shouldn't matter, but :meh:

And what's up with the track that breaks into Close To Me by the Cure midway through?

But...lyrics are interesting, and I like his voice (very Zombies) and often the instrumentation.

I'll give it another go.

Marshall

11. Some Brooklyn fruit who's way into the Jesus. Pay no mind, bro. Put on the Guster.

12. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    You smug bastard.