1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone here into swimming?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by RyRob813, Sep 20, 2008.

1. RyRob813

RyRob813

Jun 7, 2007
    St. Paul, MN
    I've been into weight training for a few years now, and I consistently go to the gym four days a week, always.

I HATE doing cardio though. I've decided since moving to college and my new gym, equipped with a pool, that I would do my cardio by swimming.

I'm not really sure how to do it though; I don't need very much cardio, so I don't need to go crazy with it. I did 10 laps with different strokes today, and that felt pretty good.

So any swimmers here that can recommend how many laps, or what strokes, ect.? Thanks!

2. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I was at one brief and early point in my life. In fact, I was the fastest swimmer out of millions.

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Is your pool a standard NCAA 25 yard length (the length of most pools at the YMCA, etc.)? If so, 10 laps isn't much of a workout for someone that's in decent shape. After I do about 30 min of the treadmill and lift weights for about 40 minutes, I usually go in the pool for a cool down, and even then I still swim at least 20 laps, and I'm not in good shape anymore :D I swam varsity back in high school, and every stroke has a good effect on the body. The butterfly will test your stamina and conditioning more that the others, and the breast is more about fluidity than raw strength. You can treat your swim like you would any other workout- you can work on conditioning with long swims- doing 500s (20 laps in a NCAA pool), do sprints of 1 or 2 laps, isolate parts by using a kickboard or a leg floatee, etc. Basically you can figure out what you'd like to get more of in you workout and implement it into your swimming.

4. RyRob813

RyRob813

Jun 7, 2007
    St. Paul, MN
    thanks, I'll keep all that in mind!

5. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    Get into the pool,swim for 2 hrs straight,free style.Whenever you have a chance.You'll have the shoulders of the Hulk.

I was a pro swimmer back in the day,we used to jump in the pool and swim till we felt numb.2 hrs is perfect I'm telling you.;)

6. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I swam competitively for 17 years. I qualified and swam in Nationals, and swam in NCAA Div. 1 on a couple of relays. For a beginning swimmer, I would recommend starting with 1000 yards for your first couple of weeks. Then move it up to 2000 yards. Here's a 1000 yard workouts to get you started

1000 yards. (40 lengths of the pool in a 25 yard pool)
    1) 250 yards warm up (just get loosened up. Don't rush it, or make yourself tired)
    2) 4 x 100 yards @ 2:00 (take notice of your time. Descend them in speed. With the last one being the fastest you start each hundred at the 200 mark)
    3) 50 yards warm down (use this to recover from the hard 100)
    4) 6 x 50 yards @ 1:00 (1 butterfly, 1 free, 1 backstroke, 1 free, 1 breastroke, 1 free) Concentrate your energy on the stroke 50's.

Do a 100 yard warm down easy free. Total yards 1100.

Wear goggles. :)

7. Alcyon

Alcyon

Jan 15, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Here's my routine... I did a couple years of swim team a while ago. I'm pretty much totally out of shape and I'm trying to get back into it as now that I'm at UVic I have no excuse not to use the pool that's five minutes from my dorm room.

-300 front crawl (12 lengths)
    -100 breast stroke (4 lengths)
    -200 kick board, alternate 50 slow, 50 fast (8 lengths)
    -time a moderate 50 (1 lap) and add :20 to it, do ten 50s (full laps), should be working pretty hard
    -100/200 swim down (4/8 lengths)

Mine's about 1100m altogether minus the swim down.

I got this routine from a google search, actually... Advice came from the coach/mother of a swimmer. Here's what she said...

"As for a workout, a standard pool is usually 25 yards or meters, so a fifty is there and back a 100 is four laps and so on. I would start with about a 300 warm up of free style (or front crawl, whatever you call it, just swimming nice and slow and relaxed without stopping) and a 100 of any other stroke (back stroke, breast strokes- the frog stroke- or butterfly if you can do it). Then try doing 200-300 yards of kick using a kick board, alternating fast and slow every fifty (in other words, do one 50 at a normal pace and then sprint one). After that, I would do timed sets. Time yourself doing a fifty at a pretty fast pace (not sprinting, but not slow either- just enought to make you pant a little) and then add about twenty seconds to that time and set that as your pace. Say for example you did a fifty in one minute, you would set your pace at about 1:20. Try doing ten 50's at that pace. (So if you're doing ten 50's on the one twenty that means you would start with the second hand on the 12, swim there and back, and go again when the second hand hits the 4, swim there and back, and go again when the second hand hits the 8, ect.). You should have to work pretty hard to keep your pace on these. If you find you're not having to work at all or if your getting like thirty seconds of rest, then you need to make your pace faster. After you work out you should always swim down AT LEAST 100-200 yards.

For a beginning swimmer, a good work out is between 1000-2000 yds/m, and you should start seeing and feeling results pretty quickly if you do that a couple of times a week. It may take you a couple of practices to work up to that much, or that may be too easy for you depending on your skill level. As you start getting used to swimming you should increase your yardage. A 1650 is a swimmer's mile, and a competive swimmer does about 6,000-8,000 yds a day."

8. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    What Bryan said...but you will likely need to break it up quite a bit. I recommend doing a couple different sets on rest instead of intervals. Maybe something like...

250 warmup/250 kick warmup
    10x50's on 10 seconds rest
    5x100's on 15-20 seconds rest

That's a pretty easy 1500yd workout....

I was W.Va. state champ at 14...unfortunately I turned 15 :)

W

9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    :D
    I don't think it gets much better as you go on- I used to the team's second best butterfly guy, and now my left arm starts to give out after a 100 :meh:

10. Only if I have to :atoz:

11. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings

Yep!!
    This is gear advice. ESPECIALLY the goggles part!

I swam competitively for only 5 years, but I made it to provincials, and then bass took over my life.

I'm getting back into swimming now. At least 3 times a week, I go and do 40 laps in groups of 4, take about a 45 to one minute break between groups.

Also, learn to do flip turns. They'll benefit you more than you know.