Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone here keep reef aquariums?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Victor Wooten98, Oct 25, 2003.

1. Victor Wooten98

Victor Wooten98 Guest

Jul 31, 2003
    South of Heaven...
    Anyone here keep reef's?

I got a 10g Nano reef.

2. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I have a 50 gallon reef. Two summers ago during the summer, one of the powerheads overheated when I was gone and killed about $500 dollars of corals, fish and inverts. It's still up and running but the only thing of any significance left is a blue coral. I plan on getting back in shape during the winter.

3. I wouldnt be able to have one of them... I have a very sneaky cat.

:D:D

Merls

4. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    We are looking for one around 50 to 70g. We went again last night and we know pretty much what we want, so in a few days/weeks we should have one here :)

5. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    Not a reef but I have a 200 litre freshwater tank. I'm keen to have a shot at a marine tank sometime in the future but don't have the spare time or disposable income at this point.
    I know Petebass is an aquarist as well. He keeps cichlids I believe. :)

6. Victor Wooten98

Victor Wooten98 Guest

Jul 31, 2003
    South of Heaven...
    Ha, Yeah, FW was fun, until I turned 17 I kept a 40g Malawi/Tanganyikan African Cichlid show tank... I kind of miss that tank...

REEFS ARE EXPENSIVE, and Yvon, if you are looking for a reef reedy tank look into Oceanic, They have Pre-drilled (thats a good thing) Acrylic tanks, and alread have surface skimmers put in (another really good thing) and they arent too much... In fact you just missed it... they were running a promotional for a while... They had 75g Reef ready (pre drilled/Skimmer, Oak stand/canopy) for like $200, I almost picked up a 300g Oceanic for like $500 (I could sit inside... GOD I LOVED THAT TANK) but making a 300g a 'mature' reef would prolly cost around...
    $15,000 for all the equipment, and MOST of the live stock... Id prolly go and buy a $1,500 angel fish...

7. jaggedsphere

jaggedsphere

Jul 15, 2002
    Ottawa
    :p

8. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Yea I know. I was going to change it but decided not to, due to laziness.

9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Yeah I got one

[​IMG]