Anyone here know about electric drums?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by I-Love-Ratm, Aug 31, 2004.

1. I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Hey guys!

I am interested in buying electric drums so I can play at home and my parents won't have a seizure! What i'm asking is could someone suggest a kit with everything included.Basic is fine and if possible below $500.

Thanks lads

Mike O Connell
  2. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    You will need to look at used drums for that price.

Roland TD-6 is probably the closet you will come to at that price. New they will push about $1000.00. They have the harder rubber pads / triggers.

Keep in mind that you will need amplification for them so you will need to budget for that too unless you plan on playing through headphones all of the time. We have used a keyboard amp for that.

If you buy them used make sure you play them first. The triggers wear out and the solder sometimes breaks inside the pad. They are pretty expensive to replace so you want to make sure they working good before you buy them.

I use a TD-7 kit at out church every sunday so if you have any questions feel free to email me.
  3. I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Ok thanks alot.Keep it comin
  4. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    The new Roland TD3 is very basic, but sounds great for an entry level kit.
    It is ready to go at about $800, that's about as cheap as you're going to get for a new E-kit. Do you have a local store that stocks any E-kits you could try out?
    May as well get familiar with what's out there.

These 2 forums have MANY experienced E-drummers, and we buy and sell a lot of gear there. You will definitely get more for your money buying used, but may have a hard time finding used E-drum gear locally, depending on where you live.

come on over and visit. These forums did a lot to help me get the most out of my E-drums. You may as well learn as much as you can about them before you spend your $.
  5. I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
  6. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    0 feedback is a HUGE red flag to me, be very careful there.
    I would demand on meeting or talking personally w/ the seller and getting some kind of reassurance. Could be legit, just his first ebay sale, but it's a big risk unless you talk to them.
    Looks like a good kit, way more than a beginner would need.
    That module was top of the line until last April when the new model came out.
  7. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Those are not bad at all. V-Drums are Rolands better kits. they have the mesh pads that feel closer to a real drum head. They feel a little "springy" to me put they have a better feel than the lower end rubber pads that Roland uses. They are also very quiet when practicing through headphones. No rubber pad "Doink & Thump"

The mesh does wear out and will effect the way the triggers operate so be sure the heads aren't all worn out.

I have played a lot of those and like them much better than the TD-7 kit that I play regularly.

Looks like a decent kit.
  8. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    You could also go the Do-It-Yourself route. All you need is a a few drum triggers, some wires, something to bang on, and a drum module. You can build an electronic drum kit for less than $500.

You can construct an e-drum with a trigger ($5-10 on Ebay), or use a piezo buzzer and 1/4" jack ($4-$6) and rig it up to a remo practice pad ($15-$20). From there you need to hook it up to a drum module, like an Alesis DM4.

What I have done is put some triggers on my acoustic drum kit, and when I want to go silent and electronic, I just put some muffle pads on the heads and bang away. For cymbals, I used some PVC pipe that I attached triggers to. I have the best of both worlds. The caveat is that you need to be prepared to tweak your trigger placement and drum module to make sure everything triggers correctly.

There's numerous resources on the internet available for this:

And here's a thread from TB that discusses the topic too:

Please keep in mind that drums are nowhere near my primary instrument and I am still quite the beginner, so issues like feel, etc. are different for me than for real drummers like Xush.
  9. I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Thanks guys but I will stick to the idea of buying used.Anything you must wary of when buying an electric kit?
  10. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Just watch out for the triggers and the solder joints on the inside. It's best to be able to play them first but thats not an option with an ebay purchase.

Also look at the plastic mounts on the back of the trigger pads. This is the part that houses the hardware points. They can crack when played hard.

Make sure all of the hardware is there. You sould be good to go.
  11. alembic76407

Apr 29, 2004
    A funny story
    I worked with drummer that played electronic drums, one night we were playing in a bar and there was a heavy thunder storm outside, the lights flashed and when they came back on the Electronic drums had reprogramed them self in the middle of the song, needless to say the rest of the band started laughing so hard we could not finish the song.
    it took the drummer 30 min to reprogram the drum kit
    you just had to be there.
  12. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Haha, man, I can imagine though. Going for a thunderous drum fill and getting a bunch of cowbells and timbales instead.
  13. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    One word of caution on the kit you're looking at on ebay, he's using a felt beater on a mesh head, that's a no-no. There may be a good bit of wear on that head. If it's not too bad, slap a patch on it and you're OK for felt beaters. Otherwise, use a plastic beater for a mesh bass head. No biggie, but it'd be a bummer to get it home, start playing and have the bass crap out just as you're starting to get into it.

Otherwise, mesh heads don't really wear out that much in my experience. I've never changed any of mine in over 5 years of use. What does wear out is the foam trigger cones, just below the mesh head. If you can see the condition of the tip of the cones, you'll know how bad this set was abused. Cone wear looks like the tip that touches the mesh head has been chewed on- it's frayed and coming apart. If they're blue cones, they need updating anyway. If they're black/dark grey and are in good shape, you're OK to leave them a while.

If you can go with mesh heads, your wrists will thank you. Some people report wrist problems from using the rubber pads for a long time, especially if you hit hard. Mesh heads will be closest to playing acoustic drums as far as feel goes.

Keep us posted!
  14. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL

something's fishy in that auction. I don't know if those are the same pictures as before, but if you want to bid on that set, get a definite list of the pads included.

Looks to me like you may have pictures of 2 different sets in that auction.

Maybe he's just illustrating how you can set it up in different configurations, but there's 2 different racks.

Make sure you get a list of what's included. Hopefully those are just 'evolution' pictures of how his kit's changed over time.