Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone here know about installing car kits for cell phones?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Jan 28, 2004.

1. Anyone here know about installing car kits for cell phones?

My Jeep currently has a Nokia CARK-91US car kit, for the 5100-series phone I had with Cingular. I switched to Verizon last week and got a shiny new Nokia 3589i, which cannot be used in the CARK-91US but can be used in the CARK-142. So far as I can tell, the only difference between the two kits is a couple of electronic features in the control unit and the pin configuration of the cradle.

The CARK-142 is $150 from Nokia and at least $120 from a dealer, and I'd like to not have to spend that much money. What I was thinking of doing was buying an MBC-17 holster, which has a connection for a data cable and a power cable, and running it to the control unit I currently have installed in my Jeep. I'd save at least $100 in parts costs and probably $50-100 in labor, since taking out the old car kit in and putting in a completely new one would be a 2- or 3-hour job, easily.

Could I do this, or am I just gonna have to eat the $100+ for the CARK-142?

2. If I knew the answer, I'd help you out.
    But, as it is, I just leave my cell phone in the cup holder next to my seat in my car and have the handsfree set plugged into it. From there, I can quickly glance at the phone if I really care who's calling me, although I tend to just pick up and say "hello" and figure out who it is by their voice. I only had to spend a little bit of money on the handsfree set, and nothing else.

But then again, I'm also far too lazy to install one of those things in my car anyway.