Anyone here know about installing car kits for cell phones?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Jan 28, 2004.

1. Anyone here know about installing car kits for cell phones?

My Jeep currently has a Nokia CARK-91US car kit, for the 5100-series phone I had with Cingular. I switched to Verizon last week and got a shiny new Nokia 3589i, which cannot be used in the CARK-91US but can be used in the CARK-142. So far as I can tell, the only difference between the two kits is a couple of electronic features in the control unit and the pin configuration of the cradle.

The CARK-142 is $150 from Nokia and at least $120 from a dealer, and I'd like to not have to spend that much money. What I was thinking of doing was buying an MBC-17 holster, which has a connection for a data cable and a power cable, and running it to the control unit I currently have installed in my Jeep. I'd save at least $100 in parts costs and probably $50-100 in labor, since taking out the old car kit in and putting in a completely new one would be a 2- or 3-hour job, easily.

Could I do this, or am I just gonna have to eat the $100+ for the CARK-142?
  2. If I knew the answer, I'd help you out.
    But, as it is, I just leave my cell phone in the cup holder next to my seat in my car and have the handsfree set plugged into it. From there, I can quickly glance at the phone if I really care who's calling me, although I tend to just pick up and say "hello" and figure out who it is by their voice. I only had to spend a little bit of money on the handsfree set, and nothing else.

But then again, I'm also far too lazy to install one of those things in my car anyway.