Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

anyone here make there own pups?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by steve-o, Nov 18, 2003.

1. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i want to start making my own pickups...any one have some deatiled drawings or pictures of there winding machine?
    or ideas?

isn't there a book on it?

thanks
    steve

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

That would have to be a 'bitch' - although I suppose you could argue that the dog had something to do with it as well!! ;)

Or are we talking about breeders?

3. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i knew someone was going to say that..lol:D

pickups..

steve

4. hey steve-0, send a PM to tweed over at H-C,he mentioned to me once that he makes his own guitar pickups on the side, may be he can hook you up with more info.

5. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
  6. RobbieK's done a few, though I haven't seen him around in a while...

There's also a pretty good website but I don't know what it is, hopefully that'll prompt someone. I was making some inquires of the same nature a little while ago, cept in the pickups section, I think theres a bit of info there.

Now that I'm on holidays I've got a fair bit more free time on my hands, though I'm a tad short of cash. And I have about few other projects on the backburner too, so much time so few means.

Josh D

7. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    I believe that Sheldon D makes his own pickups, I have seen him post a bit over at the ampage forum on the topic.

8. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Sheldons pickups are wound by Glenn at Fury guitars in Saskatoon. His winding machine is insane and he built and designed it himself. He's always happy to talk. Shoot him an email and he'll get back to you.

glenn@furyguitar.com

9. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    SPOKANE WA
  10. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    stew mac sells a pickup winding machine...

11. RobbieK

RobbieK

Jun 14, 2003
    should find some info on these websites:

http://www.firebottle.com/fireforum/fireBB.cgi?cfg=gt&forum=pmgd&enter=go

and

http://www.mimf.com

there's also a few books floating around - Jason Lollar's book is great (already mentioned) and also Erno Zwaan's "Animal Magnetism For Musicians" is an interesting, if slightly eccentric book. (IMHO!) :)

I've mucked about with pickups for years. Its actually pretty easy to get started with basic single coils. You'll really need a drill press if you're planning to make bobbins from scratch and also something to wind the bobbins. I hand wind mine with an old hand cranked grinder that I modified for the job. Works fine for hobby stuff and the odd rewind.

here's a (slightly dated!) page from my website:

http://www.robkidd.homestead.com/PickupWinding.html