Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone here not able to order online?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by StrudelBass, Aug 8, 2002.

1. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    I am unable to order online because my parents lack a credit card. Does anyone else have this problem? What can I do if I want parts?

2. my parents have a credit card but they wont let me buy of the net because of credit card fraud !!!!
    :mad:

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Get one of your own!!

4. I think he may be too young for one, Bruce. But strudel, if you have the money, ask your local store to order you what you want if your parents wont.

5. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    Would they really order something if I asked?

6. Bruce Lindfield

He'll just have to wait until 2005! :D

7. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    Well actually, I don't know why, but I once got a letter saying I was approved. :p

8. It depends, really, on the store. Moster chains like Sam ash or Guitar Center will probably order anything they don't have, and add a surcharge.

Your indie mom and pop type stores might not.

What kind of stuff are you looking for?

9. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    You know, parts. Like a BadAssII bridge I found for 39.99. And I could probably use a new neck or something.

10. Guitar center will order you a BadAss II. They might order you something like a Moses graphite neck. Call around to your local shops and ask.

11. It really irritates me when I go to a website or service that only takes credit cards. It's stupid if you ask me, what about the people who don't have one? I for one probably couldn't get one but I wouldn't want it even if I could. However that's not the point. The point is businesses allowing people to have a choice when it comes to payment options.

An example here is internet providers. Many of them will only take credit cards which is unfortunate because they have good deals. Surely they are missing out on people's business?

12. Bruce Lindfield

Credit cards are good protection for buying "on-line" as you don't actually pay until a month later so if there is something wrong with what you ordered or it just doesn't arrive, you can always phone up the credit card company and get them to cancel the transaction.

Without this protection, you are very much at the mercy of whoever you order from, as they are extremely unlikely to release the goods until they have payment, for similar reasons.

I have heard independent financial advisors recommend getting a credit card just for onlline purchases if you don't already have one - you can get deals where you pay nothing if you pay your card bill in full, on time and so you are basically getting fraud protection for free!! :)

13. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Anyone can get a checking account with a "debit" card, just as good as Visa or MC.

14. Hmm, didn't think of it that way :)

15. I got about 5 of them when I was 12! :p

16. I get about 5 of them every week!:mad:

17. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    Sometimes I just like to pretend by printing the Visa logo onto my library card.

18. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Find out how old you have to be to get a debit card, I have a Visa connect card which only allows the money out if its in the bank.

19. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Once my friend got one that was addressed to his cat. have no idea how that happened.

Back to the original topic. Go to 7-11 and get some visa bucks. You pay them cash and they give you a number to use as a credit card. I don't know the details but I'm sure they could explain it to you there.

20. I've seen those disposable visa cards. They work the same as those rechargeable gift cards you can get at the mall. Pretty cool.