Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone here order a new or used bass from the U.S. to Canada?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StarchMan, Sep 28, 2005.

1. StarchMan

StarchMan

Jul 30, 2003
    I know that for my particular province, the HST charge is 15%. However, what about duties? Anyone have any experience with that?

I was browsing the BassNW site and I saw a couple basses I'd be interested in, pending the duties charges.

2. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    I'm not sure what HST is..combined tax?

As far as I'm aware there no customs duties on musical instruments, you only have to pay your federal and provincial taxes and a customs brokerage fee (usually around $60 for a guitar).

3. StarchMan

StarchMan

Jul 30, 2003
    HST for Newfoundland...it`s PST and GST combined. Total of 15%.

If it is only a brokerage fee, that sounds good! Does it matter that the item is valued at like $1600?

Maybe I should call CCRA.

4. jdThumpin'

jdThumpin'

Aug 16, 2005
    Ottawa
    customs don't care if it's new or used right?
    I'm currently waiting for a used roscoe from fellow TBer! I'll let you know how much I'm charged for

from my past experience, I got charged with nothing for my dc112xlt Eden amp valued at $819! not even tax

5. StarchMan

StarchMan

Jul 30, 2003
    that's odd..was it claimed as a gift?

I'm gettnig it used from a store...

6. jdThumpin'

jdThumpin'

Aug 16, 2005
    Ottawa
    it's a store demo too
    but then the lable say GND prepaid...what is the GND cost?

7. i have bought 2 basses from the US one i got hit the other i didnt. i would recommend sending it through the post office that way i didnt get hit for a broker fee feel free to pm me for more info if you want it
    edit: i know how to get it here with no charges but shipping

8. StarchMan

StarchMan

Jul 30, 2003
    Ground shipping prepaid?

9. Duties are dependant on the Country of origin of the item you are bringing into Canada, they vary from about 6.5% to as much as 14%, what is it you're looking at?
    If it's a US/CDN or Mexican made bass, you will not have to pay duty as per the NAFTA agreement, most anything else will cost you import duties in addition to shipping and brokerage. UPS is probably the most expensive for brokerage, Canada Post the cheapest, however I would not ship a bass via Canada Post unless I absolutely had to.

When the sender in the USA does the shipping waybill, they will have to declare the country of origin on the item they are sending you - if it is made in the US, Canada, or Mexico it is exempt from any import duties, provided the shipper completes the NAFTA forms correctly. You will have to pay brokerage, (essentially a fee you are charged for assisting with the customs paperwork and clearing the item through Canadian customs) but there should not be any duty charged.

10. StarchMan

StarchMan

Jul 30, 2003
    Thank you SO much. The bass is made in the USA. It is a Modulus. I'll make sure they fill out the proper forms. I'm using FedEX shipping. That good?

Cheers!

11. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada

Correct. There should be no duty if is in NAFTA area.

You can avoid the brokerage fees by doing the paperwork yourself. There's a thread on this somewhere.

From discussions with UPS, if you ship it as a gift, they will not cover the insured value.

I just shipped a $2000 bass to the US, and UPS said they woundn't cover the insurance unless it was a business transaction, as opposed to personal.

You WILL have to pay one of the sales taxes, I forget whether it's GST or PST, when it comes across the border. Because your tax is one tax, I'm not sure how this will affect you. Watch out for their hidden fees also... my last transaction, I saw a fee for charging me the tax, buried in the paperwork.

12. StarchMan

StarchMan

Jul 30, 2003
    Alright, so buying a used U.S.-made bass from this U.S. retail outlet will cost me the applicable taxes (15% for me) and the brokerage fee.

13. Depends on the carrier, most will charge you at least a nominal charge for brokerage if your package crosses the border on their waybill. Even if you do ALL the paperwork there is no guarantee you won't have to pay a brokerage fee.

14. StarchMan

StarchMan

Jul 30, 2003
    even if the brokerage fee is $60 or a bit more, that's no big deal.

Thank you all for the information.

15. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Here are a few links with some light reading for you. Ideal just before heading to bed. No harm in contacting the CBSA.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel/postal-e.html

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/menu-e.html

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/rc4229/rc4229-e.html

Lots of good info on importing into Canada for both commercial purposes and personal use.

The company I use for importing is:

http://www.aacb.com/ Mostly commercial information but hopefully helpful.

This page has links so you can see what the customs paperwork looks like.

http://www.aacb.com/imex/canada.asp

Before I started importing commercially I remember being stung rather badly with brokerage fees when I brought in basses on a personal basis. Check with the shipping company the bass store uses to see what options and charges there are. I'm guessing they would use UPS.

Here are a couple of TB links

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102662&highlight=importing+Canada

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97894&highlight=importing+Canada

16. Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I'd love to check out your Roscoe when it arrives. Rare birds in these parts.

17. jdThumpin'

jdThumpin'

Aug 16, 2005
    Ottawa
    not a problem!!! if u ever come to downtown toronto, drop me a msg

instrument selection here in Canada is so limited...

18. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Oh. I didn't know this. I've only read the previous thread. Basically, they called the shipper before it went out, and told them that the brokerage would be handled by the receiver. After receiving all the paperwork from the shipper, they proceeded to do their own paperwork, and submitted it to Revenue/Customs Canada? The GOVT then charges the appropriate taxes/duties.

Of course, for me I'm too lazy, and on a $1000+ bass, I couldn't care less about $60 of paperwork, vs, having to take the day off, and miss on 8hrs of wages. :D

19. Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    And if you're ever gigging out in London . . . .