Anyone here own a Sunburst MIM Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassist15, Mar 10, 2006.

1. bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    I was looking into getting a MIM Fender Jazz bass and I didnt know what color to get . I've always loved teh look of a sunburst bass but the Brown sunburst that comes on the MIMs looks like crappy to me . Is it jsut the picture on liek musicians friend ? Do they look better in person? I was thinking of getting either a Sunburst MIM Jazz , one of those Natural Ash Jazz BAss , or a Natural Ash P Bass , or White MIM Jazz. If i get one of the Natural ones I was gonna add a black pickguard to it.
  2. verbass

Apr 26, 2004
    dayville ct
    I own a 60's reissue MIM jazz Sunburst the finish is rich and deep plus the sound is really strong thick and bumping . Alder Jazz Basses are great and the price is nice I also own an Ash Body MIA and I use both equally and they have great applications in most situations. I use the MIM for Country and old school Blues , the MIA for funk Progressive rock and some jazz . Get into your local shop and get your hands on one.:bassist:
  3. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    I have an MIM Classic 60s Jazz in sunburst. It's not the same as a regular MIM, the quality is better, but the sunburst looks awesome. I have a black pickguard on there now, but I'd like a tort one soon.

Sunburst looks better in person than in pictures.
  4. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    I had a MIM Standard Jazz Fretless which had a sunburst finish. It was nice.....but not as nice as the sunburst on the Classic 60's Jazz, which is also MIM. Here is a close-up shot of the Classic

5. skewh

Sep 5, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    '01 MIM Jazz Bass, Fretless. I personally like this finish.
  6. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    for a second there i thought that was john paul jones' bass!! jk, lol.
  7. My mim sunburst jazz looks superb - much better than the pictures - especially with torty plate. But you'll be able to see yours before you buy - surely - never buy without trying dude!
  8. I too have a Classic 60's MIM. The finish and color are far superior to the Std MIM. Oh yes, the tone is great also...
  9. FeelTheGroove

Dec 2, 2005
    Fender calls the standard sunburst a "Brown Sunburst" instead of the usual 2 or 3 color sunburst.

heres a close up of mine, standard MIM with a '62 reissue pickguard....Not a classic 60's MIM model.
  10. sanray

Nov 8, 2005
    I have the regular old MIM jazz and I love the way it looks, I put the red tortoise shell pickgaurd on it and it is now perfect
  11. bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    How much do those Classic 60's MIMs cost? also someone had the 60's reissue pickguard on their MIM Std JAzz. How much did that pickguard cost you? I am really thinking over not getting the sunburst . Im probably going to get one and put either a black pickguard or 60's reissue pickguard. Anyone have any pictures of a MIM std Jazz with a black pickguard on it?
  12. FeelTheGroove

Dec 2, 2005
    About $40 at a small local guitar shop. Might have been cheaper at guitar center or sam ash but none of them had any jazz bass pickguards in stock. I originally wanted black, but could only find red tort so I went with it because I just had to get rid of the stock white one. It wasnt a perfect fit...I had to do a little minor filing on the corner that goes up against the metal control plate. But other than that, it bolted right up.
  13. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
  14. Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I have a new MIM jazz in brown sunburst and it looks fantastic. The bass weighs a ton and sounds good. I have seen the same bass in local stores tho and the sunburst looks really weak. Fender is typically inconsistant. Took me a long time to find a MIM that I liked.

With Fender always try before you buy!!! I just ordered an aged creme pearloid pickguard for this bass. Might be a little cheesy but I had to try it!
  15. bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Anyone knwo how much the Classic 60's MIM's cost?
  16. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    If I remember correctly, I paid around $625 for mine from Came with a deluxe gig bag.
  17. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

I like the burst on my classic 60's MIM Jazz. The finish on most of the MIM's is quite good from what I've seen. Still, Fender is completely hit or miss, it pays to check them out in person and get your hands on them to make a decision concerning looks/feel.

I got a sweetheart deal with my departed GC contact for a little over $500 without the gig bag.