1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone here own a Verellen Meatsmoke?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by AngusHasMoxie, Mar 21, 2013.

1. AngusHasMoxie

AngusHasMoxie Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2013
    Easthampton, MA
    Formerly endorsed by Carvin, Basson and Dimarzio

I want that sound at :51s

I've never heard or seen a more perfect amp for my current band, which is kinda a DEP/Misfits sort of hybrid, where I want a hard hitting, punchy bass tone that shreds. I've always wanted a bit more than the SVT sound, as far as dirt.

Anyway, to my question. I very much want to buy this amp, but having no experience with one, and it not being something I can drive to the store to try out, I'm asking my TBers.

Any of you own a meatsmoke? Is it everything I'm dreaming about?

BTW: this is my first post in over three years, I've missed the community here, and now that I'm back playing bass in a band, I aim to be back around. I forgot my old user name :(

2. AngusHasMoxie

AngusHasMoxie Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2013
    Easthampton, MA
    Formerly endorsed by Carvin, Basson and Dimarzio
    For all you TBers out there who surf the forums while at work, please enlighten me! I don't have the scratch to be a guinea pig!

3. Not so many Verellen owners out there but if you move your lazy cursor over to the search window you will find evidence of their experiences.

4. I have HEARD one in person many a time seeing Russian Circles and Helms Allee(owner Ben Verellen's band). I thought it sounded excellent. Loud, heavy, and defined.

I also heard Ben Verellen does a layaway, since the amps are expensive. He seems like a real stand up dude. Maybe shoot him am email. He is very responsive.

5. IMHO I would take a hard look at the meatsmoke pre, and run that in front of something else.

6. +1, if you don't have the cash for the full blown amp then the pre is the way to go. I've spoken with someone who owns both and he's said that the pre combined with a power amp is almost impossible to tell the difference.

7. +1

And it frees up some budget for versatility.

8. beatsbears

beatsbears

Feb 22, 2011
    Portland, ME
    I was lucky enough to see Russian Circles and Minus the Bear last week, both Bassists were using Meatsmokes. Russian Circles lives bass sound was the most raw and defined tone I think I've ever heard live, though I am a huge Brain Cook fan. The bass wasn't quite as prominent in MTB's sound, but still sat in the mix well. The guitarists for both bands also use verellens and sound amazing.

I've just completed my Emperor stack and and saving for a Meatsmoke now. I shot Ben an email a couple weeks ago, about a payment plan and options for the amp. It seems like he's up to try just about anything the customer requests and is pretty understanding about the realities of affording a 2000+ dollar amp (flexible payment).

9. Blue9

Blue9

Jul 22, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Just wanted to add that when I last saw The Sword their bassist was playing through a Meatsmoke. Sounded good!

10. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada