Anyone here own an 8-string bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Slap McPoppy, Jul 16, 2002.

1. Slap McPoppy

Slap McPoppy

Jul 12, 2002
    OK first of all, I'm talking about one that is like a six with two extra, not like an octave doubled 4-stringer. If so, are you aware of a source of decent pickups for 8-strings? Thanks!
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

John Turner has two. He should be along shortly.
  3. I have this Warr Guitar. It's tuned like an 8-string bass with a high-Bb instead of a low-F#. It sounds incredible. Bartolini's plus piezo's.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

- Dave
  4. yeah, I'd have to go with Bartolinis but I think EMG makes 'em, too. head to and check in with those cats. I know they have done ALL KINDS of things!

also Alembic made an 8 for Trip Wamsley, so you might be able to find some answers there...

from the low end,

5. How do you play that thing? Do you tap it like you do with the insanely huge Warr guitars? Do you play it like a normal bass even though the string spacing is so narrow? Or do you use a pick and chord it like a guitar?
  6. just_a_poser

Apr 20, 2002
    Wow, heh. I don't think I could reach my notes on that. lol. In the first 40 seconds of a song my hand would probably be way cramped up. :-D
  7. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    It's designed primarily for two-handed tapping, but you can strum/pluck notes on it if you want. :)

To see one in action, check out Trey Gunn:

click on "videos" - try the "arrakis solo knitfactory" one.

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I own and play an 8 string Warrior tuned Low B E A D G C F high Bb.
  9. just_a_poser

Apr 20, 2002
    That was like freakin, the bomb!
  10. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Kind of a bad example now that I think about it - he's playing a 10-string there, and using it as a lead instrument not bass. FYI the bass player in those clips is using an 8-string Warr however (he's the one doing the solo actually in the "arrakis trey solo new haven" clip).

If you get the chance to see them live, GO! :) It might be a while though as he's in the studio with King Crimson right now. KC is supposed to be touring next winter though. . .