Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

anyone here play a ken lawrence?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LIBERTYVILLE, Oct 14, 2003.

1. LIBERTYVILLE

LIBERTYVILLE -----

Mar 6, 2003
    post pics! is there anything you are not happy about it...I want to go with warrior or ken lawrence for the ultimate five string fretted rock bass....

show warrior pics too while your at it..

2. dveeus1

dveeus1

Jan 7, 2001
    DFW, Texas
    Have played the Associate and the Unity.

Loved them. Can't say that I think you can go wrong with a Lawrence

3. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Excellent basses!! I had a Unity 6 string at one time. I'll try to find a pic and post it up here.

[​IMG]

4. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    My associate 5. Walnut top, alder body, wenge neck, rosewood board. Its a very early example of Ken's work (#0051) and is 34" scale. It practically plays itself and has a dark, rich, "organic" Les Claypool kind of tone to it.

more Ken Lawrence pics

[​IMG]

5. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I've played a Brase 5 string, maple neck thru w/alder wings. Wasn't too impressed to be honest. Craftsmanship was good, but 5000 dollars good? I could buy a used MTD and F bass for that (which have comparable build quality IMO). The action was quite high, so playability wasn't one of its strong points either. Tone is personal opinion,.... Seymour duncans were the pickups.

6. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
    I've heard some people saying they don't like the Brasé singlecut design, and that's Ok! I can understand the personal shape prefferences, but this is the very first time ever that I've read something 'bad' about the KL playability. I think that an alleged high string action or the use of some type of pickup brand are both adjustable & surmountable matters that responds to the player taste and it's not enough reason to generalize and try to understate a high quality Craftsmanship music Instrument. If you have the money and you really like and want the item "X" why then you have to choose some different "y" thing? Ex. I don't like Sadowsky basses because I don't feel totally comfortable playing it, However, I have nothing bad to say about those beautiful and resonant basses; ...my personal opinion 2.

7. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    OK, lemme restate my opinion (just for you Tumbao ;) ). First of all, I liked the Brase body style, very original (including the headstock) and comfortable. The construction was quite nice, but perhaps not what I personally would expect for a 5k dollar bass.(maybe I'm disillusioned?). What I meant by the high action/not great playability statement is that I couldn't tell how well it played the way it was currently setup. Now, maybe it would have played great if it was setup with lower action, I just don't know.

And, the strings were kinda old, so that didn't help the tone.

IMO of course

Cheers!

8. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
    We both agree. :bassist:

9. jaggedsphere

jaggedsphere

Jul 15, 2002
    Ottawa
    here is mine
    [​IMG]

I bought it for 3150 canadian used. The moment I laid fingers to strings I 'connected' with it. I have heard players refer to instruments as responsive and I think this one is! My Gal thought it sounded like chocolate. I also played an F Bass at the time of testing and soo felt the KL was better. It is pretty light and all the workmanship seems great. I play mostly rock and funk.
    Good luck finding one tho he is just one guy and supposedly backed up on orders.
    try
    http://www.luthiersaccessgroup.com/
    or
    http://www.clubbass.ca

10. niomosy

niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    I've played one once. The sound was nice, the bass looked nice but it didn't quite feel right. I do really like the Brase shape, however, so I plan to give them another try. Hopefully Bass Alone still has them around when I get down there.

11. I met Ken and played one of his basses at NAMM a few years ago. Here's a pic of him with George Clinton

[​IMG]

and one with him playing one of his own basses.

[​IMG]

and a close-up

[​IMG]

I tried one out briefly. I really liked it. Can't remember any specifics though.

- Dave

12. jaggedsphere

jaggedsphere

Jul 15, 2002
    Ottawa
    i am in love with that one on the bottom...