Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone here play airsoft?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Vince S., Jun 15, 2003.

1. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    Anyone here play it? For those unfamiliar to airsoft, its a sport similar to paintball, except the guns are 1:1 scale replicas of real life guns, and many games are played with real life strategies.

I have a Tokyo Marui FA-MAS SV, and I have a KJW Glock 23 on the way.

2. yes. i do. i have a tm m16a2, and im going to soon get an m733.

im going to upgrade them later.

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Yep. A TM FN P90TR, and a TM HK MC-51. About as much fun as you can have with your clothes and eye protection on!

4. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    How much do Airsift guns cost for a medium-good quality one?

5. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    They are pretty cheap. Not more than 20 bucks for one I would say. Get this, my friend (who is ((or was)) ) a senior got expelled for bringing one to school and firing it! He now will not be able to walk for graduation, and he even faces jail time!

He accidentally left it in his car, and a kid who reallly hates him told the school officials that he shot it at him, because he saw him moving it in his car. There is no welt though, and the kid claims that it hit him in the arm... That is way messed up.

Anyways, they are fun! Get one!

6. I only have a KWC M92F spring action but i don't play games with it.

7. Vince S.

Jan 24, 2003
    Nah, the cheap ones you are talking about are springers.

Real good airsoft guns, like AEGs or GBBs cost more. Tokyo Marui AEGs are around 250-300 and GBBs are around 100-300.

8. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Wow, that expensive? Well anyways, how is the game played? With paintball, you can tell who has been hit becasue of the paint- don't these just shoot out little plastic balls? What am I missing?

9. I don't know how they count hits in airsoft but they do have 6mm paint balls for airsoft guns.

10. Vince S.

Jan 24, 2003
    They shoot 6mm plastic BBs. Airsoft works on the honor system. You have to call yourself out.

And yeah, they are that expensive, at least for high grade ones that you intend to play with.

11. Yes.
    IIRC, mine is a Marui XM-177. It's ooooolllddd...but I like it. It still works, too, so I have no reason to buy a new one, although it's back home in Hong Kong right now.

They don't really hurt too much, either, which is the cool part. It stings a little on impact, but it's not nearly as painful as a paintball. Unless the spring's been upgraded beyond 150%, then it kinda starts to hurt, depending on the distance. You'll usually hear a more startled "ah!" or "ow!" from whoever got hit, if they're not used to it. Or maybe that's just me, because I never got used to getting shot. :p

Anyhoo, there've been a few threads about this before, if you do a search for "AirSoft" then you should pull something up. :)

12. if youre going to want to have fun in airsoft, you need to get an AEG. here is a forum that can answer any question you ask, and have the best groups of people at your disposal to answer them.
    http://www.airsoftohio.com
    great guys.

13. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Bump and....

My brother had two of these guns, he used them as movie props for a little action film he made.

14. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    You don't want to get one in the teeth, however!

15. Vince S.

Jan 24, 2003
    Another airsoft website, the Talkbass of airsoft:

http://vettaserv.pct.net/aszone/

the AirsoftZone. Its on a temp server right now as it is getting renovated.

16. that and AirsoftOhio. AO is defiantely a TB of airsoft.